Pros and Cons

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

RoinBooYah

Pros and Cons

Post by RoinBooYah »

[]
Last edited by RoinBooYah on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Re: Pros and Cons

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Let's see what I can say...

1. Music
2. Grunties
3. Storyline
4. Data Draining
5. Helba

Dislikes:

1. Blackrose's character
2. Mia Dungeon
3. Field and Dungeon combo.
4. Grunty Racing
5. Mutation is the longest game in the series.
Izanagidonutz

Post by Izanagidonutz »

I'm a afraid if I do this I'll compare to GU to much but here goes!

PROS:
1. Chaos Gate System
2. Black Rose
3. Elemental Weakness
4. Challenging normal monsters
5. Important spell and skill usage
6. Theme of mystery.
7. Dual Audio

CONS:
1. Can't find Virus Core needed the most. ( Eff you Virus Core H!!!)
2. In game Graphics
3. Short 20-30 game play per volume
4. AI teammates is kinda derp
5. Rachel.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

Oooh, I want to do this too!

(The World is based on Epitaph of Twilight, which makes 3 keywords system like 'chapter' title in a story book, and the content of story is what we do in that area. It makes this game unique)

> Mystery-Fantasy-Otherworldy Atmosphere in Field/Dungeon
Where else you can enter living giant, explore his intestine and got Health Drink from rotting body laying randomly? Or seeing flying giant that randomly appear/disappear above your head? Seeing huge skeleton impaled to stone pillar? Seeing strange statues of a boy asking apology and the girl hit with her bag? This eerily surreal yet magnificent feeling makes me stare into TV screen for minutes. Something I miss the most when playing GU.

> Deep storyline
Accused and pushed around seems to be Kite's theme for the first series of .hack (even in GU 'his PC' still wrongly accused) but after one turn and another, and BlackRose's slap in the back, he built himself and become the legendary azure flame, charismatic enough to influence his friends to sacrifice their safety and fight Corbenik.

> Challenging Mob
I'm not kidding when I say bunch of Spark Maidens can cut your restorative items to half of stocks :D

> Kite.

Dislikes:
> Repetitive-ness
Do I even have to write?
> In-game Graphic
The graphic ruined Sadamoto's epic design...
> Ryuu Book
Not very useful
> Item Completion
How useless it can be?!
> Orca not showing up more
Putting him in the end of game.... Is like disgracing him. T.T
> Too little interaction between character.
Every party Kite have only have few line to repeat over and over and over again despite of story....
> Virus Core Hunting
I use this as my ID name in honor of my frustration at getting them...

Gray Area:
> Skill Menu
It's kinda fun actually, having lots of skill to kill nearly invincible enemy. Using your brain instead of brute force. But sometimes it kills the fun. So I'm not sure where to stand on this.
> Random Characters
I'm okay with Kite having long list of member addresses, but their character is not very developed in game :v
hidora

Post by hidora »

I think I posted it on said old topic, but eh, it was so long ago. Let's see...

• Battle System: stop button mashing, and use your brain.
  • Music.
  • Story: while kinda slow-paced, it's one of my favorites.
  • Dual Audio.
  • Chaos Gate System: often, I'd find myself scrolling up and down through the huge list of keywords to make an area with a name that I liked xD
  • Micro-managing: while I'd like a decent or at least more customizable AI system (Tales of the Abyss come to mind; not too complex, but not too simple), being able to give direct orders to your allies is much better than just giving general strategies and cry everytime they spam healing items every 2 secs or waste all their MP on a weak enemy (like it often happens on G.U....).
Dislikes:
  • Flesh Wall dungeons: 'nuff said.
  • Lack of sidequests: not only it has close to none, but the ones it does have often are a pain (grunty racing, item completion, etc).
  • Virus Core Hunting: while I don't mind it once in a while, gathering the 3rd tier cores of each volume (C, F, I and L, iirc) is often a pain. Also, getting Virus Core A at the end of Outbreak was not fun. Until I remembered about the negative weapons on the storage, I couldn't not 1hit kill them all even with the weakest weapon available in stores x.x
  • Too repetitive: On my first playthrough I got bored by the middle of Outbreak and only came back to play 2 months later. For the same reason, I was only able to replay it once. Every other try to replay it died at Mutation or Outbreak.
  • English dub: Sounds kinda robotic. Also, while I don't know a thing of japanese, I can see that the english legends are way off sometimes.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

hidora wrote:
Dislikes:
  • Flesh Wall dungeons: 'nuff said.
  • English dub: Sounds kinda robotic. Also, while I don't know a thing of japanese, I can see that the english legends are way off sometimes.
Why you no like meat wall dungeon?

Also, I agree on English Voice actor is kinda off. The only one I like are Crispin Freeman (Balmung), BlackRose, and Helba. The most I disagree with is Kite's English VA... Guaranteed, Sayaka Aida ftw.
RoinBooYah

Post by RoinBooYah »

[]
Last edited by RoinBooYah on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hidora

Post by hidora »

VirusCoreS wrote:Why you no like meat wall dungeon?
Because it's gross, and it gives me headaches x.o
VirusCoreS wrote:Also, I agree on English Voice actor is kinda off. The only one I like are Crispin Freeman (Balmung), BlackRose, and Helba. The most I disagree with is Kite's English VA... Guaranteed, Sayaka Aida ftw.
The only english VAs I like are Kite and Balmung.
BlackRose sounds annoying imo. Well, not as annoying as Tabby on G.U., but I don't have to listen to Tabby every 5 minutes lol
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

RoinBooYah wrote: You mean besides the fact that they're extreme nightmare fuel? Hell, most of the fields and dungeons were nightmare fuel for me as a kid.
hidora wrote: Because it's gross, and it gives me headaches x.o
I'm with you on the gross and scary part, but that's what makes it interesting.
I always want to poke those throbbing veins.... only to see if the whole dungeon shifted or something :9
hidora wrote:The only english VAs I like are Kite and Balmung.
BlackRose sounds annoying imo. Well, not as annoying as Tabby on G.U., but I don't have to listen to Tabby every 5 minutes lol
Didn't BlackRose VA voiced Zelkova too?

Ah, I forgot to add something I dislikes:
I feel Root Town being too small, even before I play GU.
No 'sea' in field, even though they have beach area.
This game needs more side quest.
...and... they better remove Balmung's arm wing if they going to remake it :9 (Like in Link), because... you know.
RoinBooYah

Post by RoinBooYah »

[]
Last edited by RoinBooYah on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hidora

Post by hidora »

RoinBooYah wrote:Yeah, but when you aren't constantly controlling them they can do some pretty stupid things. Especially when you switch everyone to First-Aid and they start to heal the person who only took about 20 damage. Or telling your Wavemaster to use skills and having them spam Vulcan Ch (the most powerful summon spell at the end of .hack//Infection, I kept the staff all through Mutation and even parts of Outbreak because it was so over powered) on really weak enemies.
I never let them use skills on regular enemies ._.
And the only times when I let them use skills by themselves is against bosses... and The Bracelet lol

So yeah, never had that problem =P
RoinBooYah

Post by RoinBooYah »

[]