Logging back in.

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 1 and 2

Moderator: Moderators

Advent_Winter

Logging back in.

Post by Advent_Winter »

Well, despite all of the .hack craziness //Link's been pulling out, I stumbled upon a copy of .hack//INFECTION, with a super good price tag, ($12.99) at some random mall. Immediately I went ahead and bought it. I really missed how .hack was in the beginning, and I gotta say, even though it's seven years old, it still so irresitably brilliant. *Sigh*....It's great to relive fond memories, back when .hack was GOOD.
Tolby

Re: Logging back in.

Post by Tolby »

Ah, yes. The days before G.U.

You should be ashamed you didn't already own it.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Watch out. If you play it too much, and then play LINK for whatever reason, you will have a dangerous risk of wanting to throw the PSP and yell something like "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?!?!?"
D: lol
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

I've been trying to find it myself. It's so rare! I have a modded PS2 (to play imports) and damnit, the urge to pirate it is high...
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I'll give you my copies... not terribly interested in them anymore after QUARANTINE handed my ass to me several times XD

*would rather waste even more money on //Another Birth and manga than be forced to play through the rest of QUARANTINE* XD
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I'll give you my copies... not terribly interested in them anymore after QUARANTINE handed my ass to me several times XD

*would rather waste even more money on //Another Birth and manga than be forced to play through the rest of QUARANTINE* XD
Sold to the man who needs a haircut :lol:

(In all seriousness, you may as well keep them for if you decide to play them again.)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, I mean, there's really no point in not pressing on now that I've beaten Tarvos ._.
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

Well damn. I guess playing all that G.U.'s made me spoiled. I suck at this game now. Literally. I've gotten game over 10 times already. :/

And I missed naming Kite anything you wanted. I just called him Tri-edge for the lolz.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...wow, I can understand getting 10 game overs in QUARANTINE, but INFECTION? Geez, you must've really lost your edge badly :\

I go back to playing INFECTION and I'm like, "why isn't the rest of the series like this?" I can understand people liking hard games, but at least the first three had somewhat moderated difficulty...
bloodcandylove

Post by bloodcandylove »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...wow, I can understand getting 10 game overs in QUARANTINE, but INFECTION? Geez, you must've really lost your edge badly :\

I go back to playing INFECTION and I'm like, "why isn't the rest of the series like this?" I can understand people liking hard games, but at least the first three had somewhat moderated difficulty...
Lol Skeith kicked my ass at first... Then I looked up how to beat him and it was much easier. I wouldn't say that I got 10 game overs at any point in Infection, but Skeith frustrated me so much... Maybe it's partly because I'm not anything near a "hardcore gamer" but I can understand someone dying a lot in the first game lol.

Anyway, yeah... I'm just going to agree with what everyone else said... The original games/anime/manga was much better than the new stuff. I loved how everything was so intricately interwoven. The newer stuff just seems to have lost the mystique that the older things had. I really want to read .hack//ZERO. I read about it on dothack.wikia.com... I don't always trust websites where anyone can add/edit anything basically anyway they want, but if I'm getting this all straight, the series only has one book due to discontinuation and hasn't been translated to English. I don't read any Japanese. I don't think I need to explain my attraction to the book haha
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Well, I only got one game over against Skeith, and that was mainly because I was stupid and challenged him at level 28 ~_~ I haven't gotten any game overs from Phases since, all of them have been from normal enemies.
bloodcandylove

Post by bloodcandylove »

Now that I think about it, that may have been my problem... Not leveling up enough I mean. I had a hard time with both Skeith and Magus and I haven't bought Outbreak yet. Then I beat them fairly quickly when I leveled up a lot. Even though he isn't a Phase, I think I was having trouble with Cubia and it caused me to quit playing for a little while. But then I started playing again and I beat him in one try lol. I kind of just zoned out and then I was thinking to myself "Ha... That wasn't so hard... Why did I have trouble with that?" lol!
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

You can get a game over in .hack?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Tolby wrote:You can get a game over in .hack?
Yeah, it happens rarely when you go to areas with 20 levels higher than you...and if you have some trouble getting the Game Over, then you could try leaving the controller and just having fun looking at your characters surrounded by lots of monsters D:

Or, you could go to Quarantine's last dungeon, and try to finish it by defeating all monsters. It would take long, but you're SURELY going to get a Game Over D8
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...Tolby, I think you're the only one in the whole world that DOESN'T have trouble with the difficulty level in QUARANTINE >_>

Seriously, it's sad when normal enemies beat you more often than bosses. I haven't had trouble with Cubia at all, either... x_x
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Seriously, it's sad when normal enemies beat you more often than bosses. I haven't had trouble with Cubia at all, either... x_x
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.

Play it. Now. And weep at how late in the game you will beat bosses on the first try but get 2-40 game overs just reaching said boss. It's the only SMT game I've really had a chance to play thoroughly so yeah, I hear some of the other SMT games are as hard/ harder though.

Scenario 1:

Serph, Heat, and Argilla vs random encounter enemies.

One of them knows Mahammon which halves the HP of all opponents, but only works on demons. All party members are in demon form, so it lands a "weakness" and thus only uses half a turn icon, which basically gives the enemy another action. The next enemy uses "Void Phys" which for the next turn will nullify the first physical attack used to target an enemy (and an immunity uses double the turn Icons. Serph and Heat are the best physical attackers in the game) The third enemy uses Psycho Rage which turns a full turn icon into 4 half turns. So the enemy has 5 turns left. Back to the enemy that used mahammon, which will now follow up with an elemental attack Argilla is weak against (Like Zandyne) and finish her off. The void Phys enemy will use Blood bath. Both Serph and heat survive but are near death and will not survive the last 3 turns the enemy has.

Seriously... that is a frickin random encounter. A MID-GAME random encounter (well, yes for the psycho rage and mahammon, the void phys/bloodbath is late game only but still)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

And that...is exactly why i'm in FEAR to play any Shin Megami Tensei's, Persona included. Heck, if i had trouble with FF4 and 6, i just believe i'll be completely murdered over 30 times before reaching the first boss, and once i do, the boss will kill me even before i do something, causing to restart it all again. I was able to play and finish IWBTG twice...but this is just a different story, something even harder and more painful x___________X
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...Tolby, I think you're the only one in the whole world that DOESN'T have trouble with the difficulty level in QUARANTINE >_>

Well, to be honest, i don't really have any difficult with Quarantine...it's not that hard once you learn how to deal with all the enemies, using stuff to increase your speed, using certain attacks to inflict damage as fast as possible and dealing with tolerances, mainly D: The only actual hard thing is the last dungeon, but that's mainly just because of the Infection level...sure, the enemies can get complicated too, but really, it's not that hard....just more complicated than GU and having you to actually plan out a few basic strategies instead of just attacking all over, but that's it :/
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

TheSorrow wrote:And that...is exactly why i'm in FEAR to play any Shin Megami Tensei's, Persona included. Heck, if i had trouble with FF4 and 6, i just believe i'll be completely murdered over 30 times before reaching the first boss, and once i do, the boss will kill me even before i do something, causing to restart it all again. I was able to play and finish IWBTG twice...but this is just a different story, something even harder and more painful x___________X
In SMT:DDS's defense, it's pretty damn easy once you learn to strategize. I mean, in FF4/FF6, it was either about the levels (4) or the equipment (6) In DDS, it's about your skill list. For example, if you went first (which you usually do) in the above example, you could have cast "expel repel" which reflects "Expel" type attacks (like Mahammon) onto the enemies, which would end their turn instantly since it's more than one of your party resisting and thus using 3x2= 6 turn icons when they only have 3. While it's true it could have cast Zandyne instead, it would not have halved all your characters' HP for only half a turn icon. Something else you could have done was revert someone into human form while casting Void Phys, which would render one party member immune to Mahammon (to balance out with the weakness striking) as well as making bloodbath useless.

I like it because it's more brain and less levels. That's rare in turn based RPGs. I almost never get game over (getting like 2 in a very long area with multiple save points) while my "main character powerfag" (pardon my language) of a best friend who does nothing but give the main character the ultimate attacks as well as leaving everyone else dead so the main character has the highest level can't get past the 3rd dungeon because he's an idiot who can't comprehend strategy. (And go figure? His favorite game of all is FFVII because Cloud deals 5x the damage anyone else does. I hate that, and I like everyone to be useful)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Also reminds me of Fire Emblem, which is impossible if you focus solely on one character, especially in the higher difficulties... x_x (Heck, most of the "lord" characters (which are instant game over if they die) have set promotion times and won't promote until then no matter what you do. The exception to this is Marth, who doesn't promote at all, and in SD gets 10 extra levels to compensate.)

Of course, Fire Emblem newbies might be inclined to use the starting prepromote (or Jeigan/Jagen as it's often referred to, dating back to its archetype-setter in the first FE game) more often than other characters just because they start stronger, which is a bad idea because experience is limited in most cases and the Jagen character will gain less experience per kill and often end up weaker than the rest.

And as for the strategy part of .hack//QUARANTINE, it's pretty tough to strategize when you're surrounded by 15-20 enemies that deal like 50dmg per hit to your HP somewhere in the range of 3000-5000 (hitting multiple times, mind you) and take barely any damage in return... it's futile to attempt spellcasting because the only spellcasting you CAN do when you're ambushed like that is spamming Repth spells so that you don't immediately die...
hidora

Post by hidora »

Ranylyn wrote:
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Seriously, it's sad when normal enemies beat you more often than bosses. I haven't had trouble with Cubia at all, either... x_x
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.

Play it. Now. And weep at how late in the game you will beat bosses on the first try but get 2-40 game overs just reaching said boss. It's the only SMT game I've really had a chance to play thoroughly so yeah, I hear some of the other SMT games are as hard/ harder though.
Yeah, SMTs really are that way. But DDS is rather simple to survive. Just have a character walk the path that covers it weakness and keep a Void/Drain said element until you learn Resist said element. Seraph doesn't even have any weakness at the end of DDS 2. The secret for almost any SMT is to know every enemy and it's skills and always hit their weaknesses when you can while covering yours.

Some things I've passed through SMT games:

Hard mode of SMT: Digital Devil Saga 2. The party is Seraph, Gale and Argilla. Enemy is Parvati. She has two icons. She uses Jupiter's Fury. One icon and a flashing. Then she uses Tornado. Two flashing icons. Jupiter's Fury again, killing Gale and Argilla. Jupiter's Fury again, killing Seraph. Game Over.

Hard mode of SMT: Nocturne. I'd just got to the World Map for the first time (using the magatama I'd just gainned from the first boss, which makes you strong ice/weak wind). Walked two steps and encountered a party with 6 demons that started spamming Zan on a surprise attack. Game over and I had to fight the boss again.

Hard mode of SMT: Devil Summoner. First encounter after tutorial. Zombie attacks. One-Hit KO. Game Over.
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:And as for the strategy part of .hack//QUARANTINE, it's pretty tough to strategize when you're surrounded by 15-20 enemies that deal like 50dmg per hit to your HP somewhere in the range of 3000-5000 (hitting multiple times, mind you) and take barely any damage in return... it's futile to attempt spellcasting because the only spellcasting you CAN do when you're ambushed like that is spamming Repth spells so that you don't immediately die...
Last time I played Quarantine, enemy parties were only 1-5 enemies .-.
The only monster that got to kill me more than once was The Bracelet, because of his double spell glitch thingie -3-
I think I didn't got Game Over more than 6 times on Quarantine. Three were against The Bracelet while grinding to Lv99, and three were at the last dungeon, from Data Drain. And I liked to go solo =D