New to the boards? Introduce yourself here!

Talk about .hack news unrelated to the other forums and other off-topic discussion!
SSJScygoku

Re: New to the boards? Introduce yourself here!

Post by SSJScygoku »

Crows wrote:Hey I vaguely remember checking out these forums years ago (I still fondly remember watching the trailer video for GU on dothackers) but if I were ever a member that info is long gone from my memories.

I am crappy at introductions so feel free to ask me stuff.
Howdy fellow dothacker! ^_^ that was a good number of years ago, dothackers was always awesome at getting new .hack information out.

^.^ How much of the .hack series have you seen/read/played? I'm guessing you got to play .hack//G.U. by now?
Crows

Post by Crows »

Well, my hand/eye coordination isn't that good, but I was pretty lucky that my brother was also into .hack, and basically watched him play through all the games lol. Now in the era of youtube if I wanted to go through a game again their are some let's plays/playthroughs of all the .hack games. Except for LINK since you guys are still working on the patch. :)

I think it might be easier to list the stuff I havn't seen/read: I'm working on Another Birth novels and the Cell novels, and I havn't watched the Legend of the Twilight anime (I have the manga though). That's about it unless you count stuff that was never released in the US. Though I did watch a fansub of the movie years ago. I remember not being very impressed by it but that was also years ago so I'm probably going to rewatch it soon. I also havn't gotten around to reading the .hack//BULLET fan translation, mostly because I don't have the motivation when I don't like a lot of stuff that came after GU. So far he only thing I've seen that I liked after GU though was Quantum. Which is weird because most other .hack fans I meet online like LINK and the movie but hate Quantum. While offline the friends I know who like .hack like Quantum (and maybe the movie if they watched it) but hate LINK!

I'll admit that I hate LINK too. I remember when it was released and there was a lot of confusion if the twilight knights were their actual players and in some cases why they'd even be playing the game again. There was also the bashing of "Real Digitalization" and how Tokio looks like Taichi. As the translation was being made more and more info was starting to come out and it actually started sounding really interesting. A very different direction for the franchise to take, but it had potential! So I sat down and watched the main story videos and... I was really disappointed. The writing is bad, nothing made sense, and the characters felt like generic anime characters instead of people. Basically it had nothing about the .hack series I know and love, aside from the parts from previous entries in the .hack series and awesome music. I sill hate it, but I can at least say that I hate it after giving it a chance instead of immediately rejecting it based on premise alone. I'll probably give it another chance once an english playthrough is on youtube. If for no other reason than to see the characters I like on screen again and to see the changes made to their stories (also that soundtrack is still amazing I'll probably import the CD).
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

^_^ lucky for you that he had the games, they are quite a challenge to collect due to the price. :D And eventually we'll all beable to understand .hack//LINK~

So most of .hack you've watched and played (well your bro has) xD I usually hear fan hate for .hack//LINK and several not really amazed by .hack//Beyond the World. I haven't read .hack//BULLET yet, was waiting until after playing through .hack//LINK when the next patch is out xD

I wouldn't imagine you would get the same feeling for the characters (not to mention detailed explainations) just from watching the videos as most of the game takes place outside of cutscenes, giving the game another go with the english patch is the way to go d(@.@). Most people I saw who hated it either hated what they heard from other sources or didn't understand japanese yet said the story was bad :/
^.^ Be sure to get the limited edition OST that has 3 CDs in it~
Crows

Post by Crows »

My problem with LINK is the writing. I didn't like the premise at first, but as more people talked about the story the more I felt like "Ok, this might actually work and be pretty cool!" but the only LINK-original character I liked was Tokio. He definitely felt like a cardboard cut out shonen hero, but he was fun to watch. Saika's attitude was too transparently tsundere for me (her zapping Tokio all the time reminded me of Kagome from Inuyasha... in a bad way). AIKA was just... moe. I guess it makes sense because her character/personality is technically from another game but... I still didn't like her at all. I didn't see a lot of fluegel in those videos but they had the same problems where they just felt like anime characters. Even Amagi's backstory, which should have been super sad, felt hollow (probably because by that point I had zero emotional investment in the characters and the story). What also really bothered me was how poorly everything was explained. Like "oh x totally makes sense because banana pudding!" it doesn't make sense, it doesn't actually explain anything, it if it did than it needed an explanation unto itself.

The only thing I liked about LINK was he ending. I'm not saying that to be all "I liked the ending because then I didn't have to watch it any more!" the ending is when I actually felt something for the characters and introduced the elements that I thought were actually interesting. Over all it felt like LINK marked this big tone shift from what was a slow-paced, psychological, kind of mysterious franchise (to the point where plenty of critics thought it was boring) to your basic shonen series with a different coat of paint. If I wanted that I'd watch Log Horizon or Sword Art Online.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I actually really enjoyed the movie, and so did my girlfriend. Even after watching SIGN and Quantum, the movie has a human aspect to it, it's cute, and it's beautiful both visually and musically. This is somewhat lost if you watch it on Youtube, unfortunately. It's basically The Girl Who Leapt Through The World, but the creativity with the setting kept it original enough.

Quantum's main problems are that it's short and full of needless canon contradictions, but it's pretty good too. It's a good thing to show SAO fans to get them to reconsider.

I thought Link was really well-done character-wise and basically every loose thread was explained (which is what makes Quantum more irritating), but not all of that could fit into the 2-hour video series. Even Posaune and Trommel, the weakest characters, have some memorable scenes and personalities I still recall five years after playing the game.

In short, none of them were the Udeden anime. But the "third season" of .hack has been unfortunately slow and characterized by a lack of professionally translated releases, which definitely makes it harder to enjoy. The overall plot is interesting but so elaborate at this point you need charts to explain what exactly is going on and why. Hopefully this is building up to something, but who knows? I think that the writing for Link gets a bad rap, though. That was the main thing good about it. As a game it suffers PSPitis and is terrible, but as a CD novel you listen to it's okay.
Fhey

Post by Fhey »

Hey there new to the forums came across Guilty Dragon and then these forums so figured I would sign up to meet fellow lovers of .hack! Hope there's still some of you playing =)
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Ahh, someone who came here thanks to //Guilty Dragon! It is very rare, indeed.

Let me have the honor of being the first one to say: Welcome to the boards, Fhey! It's glad to see another fellow dothacker around here!

I hope you enjoy your stay here, and be sure to check out the .Games section, as there is the original games(Or .Hack//IMOQ, for short) and the G.U.~ //LINK, //VERSUS, Etc! In case you don't know them yet... Also there is an off-topic section for those topics you wanna discuss that aren't .Hack// Related!

Also don't forget to pass by the Role play/Creative writing section on the Root Town! I'm sure you'll find something you'll like from any of our talented writers(There aren't many fanfics other than Kaori'son the front page, but there's others) if you like reading!

Anyways, Welcome to The Wo-- Err To Dothackers.net's Forum Boards!
Fhey

Post by Fhey »

Thanks very much I do know all about the other games they were my childhood XD I also really hope I can land some friend codes for GD and have alot of fun on here! =)
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Fhey wrote:Hey there new to the forums came across Guilty Dragon and then these forums so figured I would sign up to meet fellow lovers of .hack! Hope there's still some of you playing =)
^_^ i'm surprised you haven't stumbled across the forum sooner fellow dothacker, great to have you here!

:D I'm sure you'll find several Guilty Dragon players here on the boards,also there is a GD group on Facebook if you are a member.

You'll find any new .hack information here, our resident translator Kuukai illuminates us on any japanese only news~
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

well waddya know i guess there is such things as second chances. Well its good to be back i guess. didnt really plan on being back but i guess its happening.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

SCP173music wrote:well waddya know i guess there is such things as second chances. Well its good to be back i guess. didnt really plan on being back but i guess its happening.
Couldn't you have used your old account in coming back? Or was it perma banned?
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

Kaori wrote: Couldn't you have used your old account in coming back? Or was it perma banned?
It was perma banned loll. I used to be a troll. But i decided maybe ill come back since its been like 2 years since my ban i think. i cant remember how long it was.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

SCP173music wrote:
Kaori wrote: Couldn't you have used your old account in coming back? Or was it perma banned?
It was perma banned loll. I used to be a troll. But i decided maybe ill come back since its been like 2 years since my ban i think. i cant remember how long it was.
Well, glad to have you back then, just stay out of trouble like me, although I still tend to act like a Dick though.
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

Kaori wrote: Well, glad to have you back then, just stay out of trouble like me, although I still tend to act like a Dick though.
Lol dont we all every now and then?
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

SCP173music wrote:
Kaori wrote: Well, glad to have you back then, just stay out of trouble like me, although I still tend to act like a Dick though.
Lol dont we all every now and then?
I never! *looks around suspiciously*

But hey, Kaori has been behaving like a good girl lately

Welcome back, failed russian experiment... I mean SCP... 173... Music?...

Anyways, hope you don't get perma banned now...

Welcome to the boards!!
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

AZURE-KITE wrote:Anyways, hope you don't get perma banned now...
ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ nyuk nyuk

(。・`ω´・。)
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Erroneous wrote:
AZURE-KITE wrote:Anyways, hope you don't get perma banned now...
ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ nyuk nyuk

(。・`ω´・。)
Or do i...?

Btw i was curious... Of why/how did you change your username...? I'm sure it was Insydius before...
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

AZURE-KITE wrote:why/how did you change your username...? I'm sure it was Insydius before...
I believe I changed it back in 2013 here.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Erroneous wrote:
AZURE-KITE wrote:why/how did you change your username...? I'm sure it was Insydius before...
I believe I changed it back in 2013 here.
You should make an username change event of some sorts... Could be fun :3

I thought the only thing administrators could change was the title
SCP173music

Post by SCP173music »

AZURE-KITE wrote:
I never! *looks around suspiciously*

But hey, Kaori has been behaving like a good girl lately

Welcome back, failed russian experiment... I mean SCP... 173... Music?...

Anyways, hope you don't get perma banned now...

Welcome to the boards!!
well thankies :3