Message board rules

Talk about .hack news unrelated to the other forums and other off-topic discussion!
User avatar
d5t
Explosions in the Sky
Explosions in the Sky
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:08 pm

Message board rules

Postby d5t » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:51 pm

Here is a simplified updated version of the rules:

    No spam.
    No harassing.
    No trolling.
    No illegal intellectual property linking or "hinting" (MP3s, ANY illegal .hack media (you will be humiliated if you link to illegal .hack media), copyrighted media, etc). (THIS INCLUDES IN YOUR SIGNATURE, PRIVATE MESSAGES, AND ANYTHING ELSE ON THE MESSAGE BOARD. THERE ARE NO LOOP HOLES! YOU WILL BE BANNED!)
    No pornographic linking.
    No advertising a website to solicit visitors.
    No multiple usernames.
    No reviving dead threads (4 months of inactivity or more)

    Signatures:
    Signatures must not exceed 600 pixels in width, 180 in height.

    Shadow-modding:
    Shadow moderating will not be tolerated anymore, and can lead up to being banned if excessive. Take use of the ! function to alert moderators of posts that break the rules.

    Short story: It creates more work for us and unnecessarily bloats the database with redundant information. Don't do it.

    Post ranking system:
    Lurker: 1
    .hacker: 25
    .hack//legend: 300
    .hack//expert: 700
    .hack//aficionado: 1000
    custom (PM an admin for a custom rank): 2000
Last edited by d5t on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: Updated for troll reference

User avatar
d5t
Explosions in the Sky
Explosions in the Sky
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:08 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby d5t » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am

Just for clarification for those of you new to message boards and online communities in general:

What is a troll?

"A `troll' is an individual who enjoys creating conflict on the internet. He or she creates and fuels arguments which upset other members of the online community.

Trolls thrive in the anonymous space that is the internet. Trolls crave attention from others, and they don't care whether the attention is positive or negative. For trolls, other users are not quite real people; they are abstract characters on the other side of a computer screen. Trolls don't feel bad about hurting the feelings of other people in the digital space.

Trolls view chat rooms and newsgroups as a challenge where the winner is the user who creates the biggest argument, the user who upsets the most people in the most dramatic way. A troll wants to be the user getting the most attention.

Troll behavior discourages many users and makes for a less vibrant online community. New users may not post because they fear ridicule. Established posters may leave an online community because the noise has overwhelmed the real discussion. Trolls can make an entire community paranoid, leading users to become negative or to accuse a user engaged in normal criticism as a troll."

How to deal with a troll


"Remember, trolls feel rewarded by creating the biggest altercation possible. They want to get a reaction out of you. When you fight with a troll, he wins. When you reason with a troll, he wins. Any time that you give a troll attention, he gets exactly what he wants.

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. When you ignore a troll, he doesn't get the satisfaction of creating an escalated conflict."

More info here taken from IMDB: http://imdb.com/help/show_leaf?boardstrolls

Report trolls!


If a user falls under the troll category, please report them to a moderator or administrator, or use the "!" button to report a specific thread.

User avatar
Altre
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby Altre » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Just a "what if" situation, what if, say... an admin upsets you due to personal history and they decide your at fault and ban you, or do something else that limits you or maybe leads to others disrespecting you? I'm means this with the highest elevation of seriousness, because being on THIS forum specifically means a lot to me. You know, it helps get my mind off the bad parts of life.
Image
Hit me up on -->Facebook<--
If you're a dothacker, you're already friend to me!

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby Erroneous » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Altre wrote:Just a "what if" situation, what if, say... an admin upsets you due to personal history and they decide your at fault and ban you, or do something else that limits you or maybe leads to others disrespecting you? I'm means this with the highest elevation of seriousness, because being on THIS forum specifically means a lot to me. You know, it helps get my mind off the bad parts of life.


If anything, contact another administrator and hope for the best.
memberlist.php?mode=leaders

User avatar
Sanha_Trio
.hacker
.hacker
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby Sanha_Trio » Sun May 03, 2009 1:04 pm

About the signature limit.... I'm not really good with resizing images, but how tall is 180 exactly? Is it okay to post a image that's not a sig that is higher than that? If so, this is the pic I wanted for my sig:

Image


When I resized it, it said it was 214x320. Do i have to make it smaller?
Image

User avatar
d5t
Explosions in the Sky
Explosions in the Sky
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:08 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby d5t » Thu May 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Sanha_Trio wrote:About the signature limit.... I'm not really good with resizing images, but how tall is 180 exactly? Is it okay to post a image that's not a sig that is higher than that? If so, this is the pic I wanted for my sig:

Image


When I resized it, it said it was 214x320. Do i have to make it smaller?


You can post images larger than that, but not in your sig because it is shown on every post you make - increasing load time and "scrolling" for users. Your sig seems OK though, so go ahead and post it.

User avatar
MizuTakishima
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby MizuTakishima » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

I have a quick question, about reviving dead threads.

What if it's been inactive for 4 months or more, but it's still on the front page? Is it okay to post there or should one just make a new thread but pretty much the same topic?
Image
This signature is old but I still like it!

User avatar
d5t
Explosions in the Sky
Explosions in the Sky
Posts: 1015
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:08 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby d5t » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 pm

MizuTakishima wrote:I have a quick question, about reviving dead threads.

What if it's been inactive for 4 months or more, but it's still on the front page? Is it okay to post there or should one just make a new thread but pretty much the same topic?


Sorry for the late reply. If it's still on the first page, feel free to bump it back up or create a new thread - it's up to you in this rare case.

User avatar
MizuTakishima
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby MizuTakishima » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 pm

d5t wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote:I have a quick question, about reviving dead threads.

What if it's been inactive for 4 months or more, but it's still on the front page? Is it okay to post there or should one just make a new thread but pretty much the same topic?


Sorry for the late reply. If it's still on the first page, feel free to bump it back up or create a new thread - it's up to you in this rare case.


Ah okay XD It's not up on the front page anymore, but I may just make a new thread~ Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway :)
Image
This signature is old but I still like it!

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4275
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby Kaori » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:41 am

Are members allowed to give out hentai website adress's via PM?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby Erroneous » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:39 am

Kaori wrote:Are members allowed to give out hentai website adress's via PM?


I don't see how this is a rule related discussion O.o

My take on this is if the person your sending the link to is someone you know or are familiar with it'd be acceptable, if you were to go around spamming random members hentai links then that be a definite no.

urbanracer34
lurker
lurker
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Message board rules

Postby urbanracer34 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Is it OK to post links to other fan translations or other forums that host said translations? RULE 4 says "No illegal intellectual property linking or "hinting"" but does other fan translations fall under this rule or not? The reason I'm asking this is because of the following post, quoted below, because the people at their forum could help us translate .hack//LINK PSP quicker and with (possibly) better quality:

Funkdat wrote:You guys need to team up with the guys that did the Yugioh Tag Force 6 patch. I was amazed by that work. Over 5000 cards, menus, options, and so on translated and the game just came out late Oct. Their patch also just took 2 clicks of a app and it was installed. I won't link their forum since it might get u guys intouble, but you should really hit them up. They might be able to offer pointers or have members interested in helping.

User avatar
Vallen
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:39 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby Vallen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Perhaps not the best place to ask this, but can we post images from our computer in a thread? If so, how? And if not, what alternative is there for posting images (assuming there is one at all)? Thanks

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby Erroneous » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Vallen wrote:Perhaps not the best place to ask this, but can we post images from our computer in a thread? If so, how? And if not, what alternative is there for posting images (assuming there is one at all)? Thanks


The board does not have an image upload feature from your computer to the board directly. However you can use an image uploading service link TinyPic. It will allow you to move a file from your PC to the internet and it will provide you with 4 types of links to the image itself. The one you want to copy and paste to your threads is called "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". Here's the address to their free service.

http://tinypic.com/

User avatar
roru_aurarios
.hacker
.hacker
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 am

Re: Message board rules

Postby roru_aurarios » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Erroneous wrote:The board does not have an image upload feature from your computer to the board directly. However you can use an image uploading service link TinyPic. It will allow you to move a file from your PC to the internet and it will provide you with 4 types of links to the image itself. The one you want to copy and paste to your threads is called "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". Here's the address to their free service.

http://tinypic.com/


Uhm, you can also place your pictures or photos in Photobucket as well. I still have my Photobucket account.


Return to “Root Town Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users