Final Fantasy Series

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Which Final Fantasy game is your favorite?

Final Fantasy IV
4%
Final Fantasy VI
11%
Final Fantasy VII
34%
Final Fantasy VIII
15%
Final Fantasy IX
No votes
Final Fantasy X
28%
Final Fantasy X-2
9%

Total votes: 47

Ardo

Post by Ardo »

Icemasta wrote:Final Fantasy tactic: WEEEEE i forgot about that one ><*blushes*
Are you talking about Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I personally found FFTA to be much better than the original.
P.S. a reason why FFVII has been more popular must have been of Cloud's personality AND weapon.(huge kewl looking sword.... who wouldnt want that)
but sincerly i think FVII won over FFVIII because FVII get quoted in a few games e.g.: (Growlanser 3, when you visit a house a girl open and start talking about how ring weapon works then she says : "When you equip you Ring Weapon it transforms itself into a giant sword that would even make Cloud jealous.) (Kingdom Hearts: Cloud sephiroth) (FFVII:AC)
I dunno about that. I always figured its popularity grew very quickly because it was the first RPG that most gamers had ever experienced (or at least the first half-way decent one). Wasn't FFVII sort of responsible for sparking the interest in the genre (for the U.S.)? And the reason it "won over FFVIII" was because people were expecting more of FFVII and not what FFVIII was. Apparently, FFVIII has things that are just too annoying for people to bother with (like drawing and junctioning and whatnot). I would attribute FFVII being mentioned in Growlanser 3 and Cloud's cameo in Kingdom Hearts due to the fact that FFVII remains widely popular, and many believe it to be "the best FF EVAR!" >_<
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Well, FFVII was also the first Final Fantasy not on Nintendo. Most of the time, most Final Fantasy's seem to stay away from nintendo, with the exception of Crystal Chronicles, FFTA, and the 1-6 on the nintendo systems. FFVII made sony popular, you could say.
solarismagnum

Post by solarismagnum »

FFVII had the advantage of being on a more powerful system than it's predecessors. Up until FFVIII came out, it was the most visually stunning RPG around. By the time FFVIII had come out, though, FFVII had developed a dedicated [infamously rabid] fanbase, and that probably worked against VIII. (I personally found VIII boring early on, and was too frustrated with drawing and all that crap to give it a second chance)

As for the mention in Growlanser: If I recall correctly, Working Designs did the localization for that, and they're notorious for adding all sorts of pop culture jokes like that to their games (See: the Lunar games and their guides). Cloud and other members of the cast have been making cameos in various Square games since FFVII's popularity exploded. Kingdom Hearts wasn't the first, and I doubt it will be the last. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Final Fantasy Tactics, Ehrgeiz, and the upcoming Itadaki Street Special. ^_^;; It's a very cheap (and effective) marketing ploy.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

well , Cid has become FF pilot or captain name for alot of game now.
and personally FFVII isnt the best RPG out there, i played some RPGs that would pwn FFVII in aaaaalllll the categories.
Lynx_Raven_Raide

Post by Lynx_Raven_Raide »

A testament to FFVII's popularity can be seen in the form of the soon to be released Advent Children, Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus
akuma2002

Post by akuma2002 »

Final Fantasy 6 forever !! :D
TsukasaKitty

What about FFtactics!?

Post by TsukasaKitty »

I love tactics. Hey mr. administrator where'd you get that title anyways?! Oh, I also love #8 of FF.(heart heart)
Access

Post by Access »

Why isn't 1 on the list?

Not only was it my first FF, but it was also my first video game ever. I was 5. And it was insanely crazy. It's because of FF that I learned to read.

:D

VII is only popualr because it was the first widely advertise American FF game. It was on a brand-spankin'-new console with 3D graphics. It was touted as one of the best games on the PS. Though it is a good RPG, I do admit, it lacks a lot of what makes Final Fantasy...well, FINAL FANTASY. It changed a lot. A LOT.

Old-school One fan all the way. <3
robinton19

Post by robinton19 »

I think #3 was best, since I haven't played any of the others.... easy choice
Access

Post by Access »

#3 as in Final Fantasy VI?

Or Number 3 as in Japanese III?

I'll assume you mean VI, because the majority of America hasn't played IIIj.
Icemasta

Post by Icemasta »

i loved the first one, for 2 things. For a nes game you had already great choices (choosing between 4 classes who would later grow into more exciting class.
2.My thumbs had bruises on them because i played too much:p