why doesn't dot hack get any attention

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

mister

why doesn't dot hack get any attention

Post by mister »

See subject

I've got a couple theories but i save my opinion to people open to optimistic speculation.
Last edited by mister on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Re: why doesn't dot hack get any attention

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

There's nothing fresh in the series on this side of the ocean, which pushes it into obscurity. The last new game was GU. The last exposure was in Project X-Zone, but most of the people who played that game went in for fanservice of "obscure characters, so the companies producing it didn't bother dubbing it.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Well Project X Zone 2 will be out shortly and has G.U. characters so that will get alittle more exposure.

In Japan they just released chapter 30/31 of .hack//Bullet and some new merch,ofcourse nothing new over in the West besides from all the .hack anime (that was already out) got a cost efficient re-release ^_^
mister

Post by mister »

I've never heard of project x zone. What's that?

Post by Avatar_Crim »

It's a pretty fun game. It's system is kind of(maybe, not really?) fire emblem, and combat is Cross Active Battle System, similar to Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier(?) lol. tough to explain I guess. its a cross over game between capcom, sega, and bandai, with popular characters from some of their games.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Avatar_Crim wrote:It's a pretty fun game. It's system is kind of(maybe, not really?) fire emblem, and combat is Cross Active Battle System, similar to Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier(?) lol. tough to explain I guess. its a cross over game between capcom, sega, and bandai, with popular characters from some of their games.
Tried it, it was pretty lame, nothing but Niche Fanservice, don't expect a deep story from it, I kinda want my money back too after playing it.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

i didn't even beat it, about half way i think. the story seemed to drag on, but overall i enjoyed the game play, and what they were going for with the story. I guess I just liked the fact it had a bunch of characters i liked lol.
mister

Post by mister »

I want to know why they only specifically produce dot hack games in Japan, at least in some cases. Why do we in America have to wait so long to get Japan's handmedowns?
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

mister wrote:I want to know why they only specifically produce dot hack games in Japan, at least in some cases. Why do we in America have to wait so long to get Japan's handmedowns?
I can't tell whether you are joking or are actually ignorant of how japanese videogames make it overseas, it needs to be profitable enough to sell overseas, what sells in the east may not always sell well in the west, then the tricky part is getting somebody to translate and publish it, and translating is never easy work, seriously, you have the gall to be ungrateful about getting "handmedowns", lets see you do the dub and translations mister bigshot, I tend to be quite content with whatever best the publishers and translators can do as long as the basics of the product are still there, so before you go on and whine about recieving games from another country that has been adapted to be understandable at basic as if it were your mother's pantyhoses, why don't you think about the people who made it possible for it to be even available overseas in the first place.
Falions

Post by Falions »

mister wrote:I want to know why they only specifically produce dot hack games in Japan, at least in some cases. Why do we in America have to wait so long to get Japan's handmedowns?
Money.
mister

Post by mister »

I still don't see why it takes as long as it does to get an English adaptation. I personally believe a world r2 version of fragment would be rather profitable. Like if they started where gu left off but in an mmo. I think it would be as popular if not more so due to the content starved fan base of dot hack as the beat em up mmos out there like Tera online.
mister

Post by mister »

Holy cow I just got my hacker rank. Epic win.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

mister wrote:I still don't see why it takes as long as it does to get an English adaptation. I personally believe a world r2 version of fragment would be rather profitable. Like if they started where gu left off but in an mmo. I think it would be as popular if not more so due to the content starved fan base of dot hack as the beat em up mmos out there like Tera online.
Only a few PS2 games had online. .hack for the most part has only gets content in Japan. A MMO is a possibility(low) in the future but it would likely be Japan only. It would be in a situation similar to PSO2 where the game got release in East but no western release so fans made a translation patch and play on Japanese servers.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

mister wrote:I still don't see why it takes as long as it does to get an English adaptation. I personally believe a world r2 version of fragment would be rather profitable. Like if they started where gu left off but in an mmo. I think it would be as popular if not more so due to the content starved fan base of dot hack as the beat em up mmos out there like Tera online.
.hack's gameplay doesn't exactly translate well into an MMO, and profitable? Says who? CC2 makes more money off their Naruto and JoJo games than .hack ever will, there are PLENTY of online games out there that offer other alternatives, HOW COULD YOU CALL YOURSELF A .HACK FAN IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED ANY ACTUAL MMO, its like you watch movie adaptation of books without reading the actual books, and no, fragment doesn't count.
mister

Post by mister »

I have never had such a stimulating internet conversation. I would be excited to see some modded content for fragment and gu. Like a character creation for gu. And a reboot of the skill trigger function so spell casters can use it. And a character model for Hellas would be nice for fragment. I see a lot of old computer games get modded content like Star Wars knights of the old republic for example. What's getting in the way of modded content for dot hack? Especially on pcsx2...
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Most of the .hack franchise seems like it's going to be at a halt. There was an MMO like thing called Fragment that I believe a member was doing some work on trying to make a server. It wasn't a true MMO and I actually have a copy of it for the PS2.

The halt itself comes from the fact anything after R:2 has mostly been in Japan. It just isn't very profitable, even with people playing the card game like app for the smart phone.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

mister wrote:I have never had such a stimulating internet conversation. I would be excited to see some modded content for fragment and gu. Like a character creation for gu. And a reboot of the skill trigger function so spell casters can use it. And a character model for Hellas would be nice for fragment. I see a lot of old computer games get modded content like Star Wars knights of the old republic for example. What's getting in the way of modded content for dot hack? Especially on pcsx2...
KOTOR is a PC game, .hack isn't, put it together yet? Then there's the fact that modders have other interests, I can see a lot of Mods for games such as New Vegas and Skyrim because they are true PC games and not some souped up jalopey of a game you're forcing your toaster to run, if you want one so badly, why don't you make it yourself? I make my own games now thanks to learning and the right set of skills, you can too if you can actually put your money where your mouth/sausage fingers is/are, assuming you can even do it instead of wasting your time posting on here about how bad life is for you because of the lack of .hack stuff, there's plenty of programs on the net, some free, I have a couple of unreal engines software, 3 RPG makers, a VN builder, and access to particular sites for resources for my homemade games, if you're lucky, you could find some .hack character models to use.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

zaseo wrote:It would be in a situation similar to PSO2 where the game got release in East but no western release so fans made a translation patch and play on Japanese servers.
Don't even get me started on this one. I was following this from the initial development announcement and waiting for them to announce western release, years later nothing still. I bug SEGA on twitter every once in awhile about this lol.
mister

Post by mister »

Kaori it's always been a dream of mine to get started making my own video games. How I'm getting my start is by getting information from gamers like you. What would you tell someone trying to get their start? And where do I learn this stuff from officially?
Falions

Post by Falions »

Kaori wrote:
.hack's gameplay doesn't exactly translate well into an MMO, and profitable? Says who? CC2 makes more money off their Naruto and JoJo games than .hack ever will, there are PLENTY of online games out there that offer other alternatives, HOW COULD YOU CALL YOURSELF A .HACK FAN IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED ANY ACTUAL MMO, its like you watch movie adaptation of books without reading the actual books, and no, fragment doesn't count.
Considering .hack//IMOQ's gameplay is heavily inspired by Phantasy Star Online (which was a very successful MMO in its time), it's certainly possible, but not very fun in 2016.

But you are right about the profitability of .hack. Mister, consider the fact that you are posting on one of the few (of two? I can only think of one more forum, and most of the users there are also here) dedicated forums to .hack in the year 2016 where the only posters you see are a handful of regulars. This is it. This is the remaining .hack fanbase in the west. Now, if you were an already small company under a much larger publisher who only has money on their minds, would you gamble a localization job on fifteen to twenty people who would for-sure buy it? I didn't think so.

Just go play FFXIV and pretend you're playing The World. That's what did it for me for at least 4 months.