Favorite MMO's?

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

MizuTakishima

Favorite MMO's?

Post by MizuTakishima »

Sorry if the topic of this thread is too broad, but I just love MMO's/MMORPG's!  I blame .hack for this!

I haven't played a lot of MMO's myself, partially because I have a weak machine and partially because I've heard of horror stories about those who get addicted to games like World of Warcraft...

But I'm really enjoying Tera Online! The aesthetic feels very close to .hack imo, (I mean, it's still unique, but some of the imagery...) plus it's just colorful, fun, and has really satisfying movements! (kinesthetics ftw!)

I've also played Dungeon Fighter Online, (though I think the American branch closed down?) zOMG! (Gaia's 2D browser-based MMO, though it shut down due to a security issue that would have been too expensive to fix) SMT's MMO, The Endless Forest, (if that counts?) Wildstar (just the beta, it was too laggy for me) uh...hm...I'm sure there was more than just that...

There's even some cool indie MMO's in the works that I have my eye on, including Legends of Equestria, Pumpkin Online, and an ambitious little project by MEK Entertainment. Everquest Next looks like it'll be cool too- it's not Indie but it's not out yet...and neither is Maple Story 2..gosh that looks cute!!

Anyway enough of my rambling! What about you guys? Any MMO's you're super into right now? :D
SSJScygoku

Re: Favorite MMO's?

Post by SSJScygoku »

I imagine many fans can blame .hack for their interest in MMO/MMORPGs xD

I'm surprised most addictions aren't stopped by lack of funds to pay for memberships, unless its a free MMO ^^'

From the MMOs you've mentioned the only one I've played as the Gaia one, assuming you mean gaiaonline ^^' I remember way back posting on a .hack thread (well there was two) about all the really old news,heck the novels were a highlight back then or getting the anime lol

I still have my Runescape which I randomly go back to, think its double exp this weekend @.@ Other MMOs i've played are:

- Myth of Soma - stopped due to this being a hosted server where the drop rates were terrible, being were cheating to get anything and there was a friend of the host who kept trying to PK my brother and me. >.> doesn't help in the game you can bring out a search box and it points in the direction of a player.
- Aion ^_^ was a pretty cool game, the flying/gliding was fun plus you had to becareful of opposing factions coming through rifts xD
- Ragnarok Online 1 + 2 - Played the first for awhile with my brother and friends then data was lost from the server, eventually played 2 on steam with some people.
- World of Warcraft Only reason I started this was so my friend would play .hack//IMOQ, only got to the end of the tutorial and didn't finish it lol

I think thats about all the games <.< >.> unless something else comes to mind later.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

if i had to go with the one i played the most, mine is Guild Wars 1.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SSJScygoku wrote:I imagine many fans can blame .hack for their interest in MMO/MMORPGs xD
lol true xD
SSJScygoku wrote:From the MMOs you've mentioned the only one I've played as the Gaia one, assuming you mean gaiaonline ^^' I remember way back posting on a .hack thread (well there was two) about all the really old news,heck the novels were a highlight back then or getting the anime lol
Yeah I meant Gaia Online! I really loved zOMG's Ring mechanic; mixing and matching rings and getting whatever power you wanted from them...and they could even be combined for special bonus sets! I wish more games had something like that.
SSJScygoku wrote: - Myth of Soma - stopped due to this being a hosted server where the drop rates were terrible, being were cheating to get anything and there was a friend of the host who kept trying to PK my brother and me. >.> doesn't help in the game you can bring out a search box and it points in the direction of a player.
- Aion ^_^ was a pretty cool game, the flying/gliding was fun plus you had to becareful of opposing factions coming through rifts xD
- Ragnarok Online 1 + 2 - Played the first for awhile with my brother and friends then data was lost from the server, eventually played 2 on steam with some people.
- World of Warcraft Only reason I started this was so my friend would play .hack//IMOQ, only got to the end of the tutorial and didn't finish it lol
I'm not too familiar with Aion or Myth of Soma, but I've heard good things about the other two :O I remember in high school I had a friend who was super into WoW. He tried to get me to play, but I wasn't too keen on paying for a game that my crummy computer probably wouldn't even be able to run xD
Avatar_Crim wrote:if i had to go with the one i played the most, mine is Guild Wars 1.
Oh I've heard good things about Guild Wars! Though my computer can barely even run Tera Online...
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

MizuTakishima wrote: lol true xD
Wonder if the SAO game count as a MMO as like .hack they are offline xD well with some co-op play.
MizuTakishima wrote: Yeah I meant Gaia Online! I really loved zOMG's Ring mechanic; mixing and matching rings and getting whatever power you wanted from them...and they could even be combined for special bonus sets! I wish more games had something like that.
Its been years since I played the game and randomly finding items on gaia when checking the forums @.@ I'm surprised they haven't tried to bring the game back in some format or another.
MizuTakishima wrote: I'm not too familiar with Aion or Myth of Soma, but I've heard good things about the other two :O I remember in high school I had a friend who was super into WoW. He tried to get me to play, but I wasn't too keen on paying for a game that my crummy computer probably wouldn't even be able to run xD
^.^ Aion is definitely awesome,I remember waiting outside the opposing faction's city after exploring and doing quests. Then someone left the floating city and attacked me, so I turned them into a tree and opened a portal to escape xD Myth of Soma was good but i'm not sure all the features were avaliable in the version I played.

^^' yeah it would be a waste buying membership when you can't play the game.

Oh I played allitle Guild Wars and Dungeon Seige..III I think xD
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Thanks to .hack I've spent a solid 10 years MMO jumping and the only two I really enjoyed were Mabinogi and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

I still play Mabinogi here and there, and thankfully they've updated their game to keep pace with their userbase growing older (ie: more convenient travel and other quality of life improvements from 'vanilla Mabinogi') so it's still fun to play and doesn't feel dated for a 10+ year old MMO. It has more of a Log Horizon feel than a .hack feel though, but I still like it.

Most of my free time is devoted to Final Fantasy though. The entire concept of it being a second revision of the original game gives me some GU vibes so that got me roped in and now I'm hooked. It's not as "free" as the older MMOs I used to play in the way of character builds and stat allocation, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Plus...damn this game is pretty and it doesn't cause your GPU to go up in flames like the original version did!
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

SSJScygoku wrote:
MizuTakishima wrote: lol true xD
Wonder if the SAO game count as a MMO as like .hack they are offline xD well with some co-op play.
Did .hack have some co-op? Figured the best a PS2 could do was split screen, unless you mean Fragment, and I'm gonna have to list down SAO as the only "pseudo" MMORPG I play, can't wait for the Aincrad game, although I'm rather dissapointed that they'll remove the MMORPG elements in the Aincrad game.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Kaori wrote:Did .hack have some co-op? Figured the best a PS2 could do was split screen, unless you mean Fragment, and I'm gonna have to list down SAO as the only "pseudo" MMORPG I play, can't wait for the Aincrad game, although I'm rather dissapointed that they'll remove the MMORPG elements in the Aincrad game.
Didn't .hack//LINK have multi-player where you can do a dungeon with people ?_? Fragment had slipped my mind but pretty sure you could play that online with others, weren't some fans making a server for it or atleast an english patch.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

SSJScygoku wrote: Wonder if the SAO game count as a MMO as like .hack they are offline xD well with some co-op play.
Hmm maybe! I'm not familiar with the SAO game, since I only watched the anime when it aired on Toonami. (I knew the anime existed back when it was airing online, but from the gifs I saw on tumblr, it seemed like it would have a few scenes that would most likely make me uncomfortable, so I was content with watching an edited version of the show) I'm curious to know more about the game though! :)
SSJScygoku wrote: Its been years since I played the game and randomly finding items on gaia when checking the forums @.@ I'm surprised they haven't tried to bring the game back in some format or another.
Yeah, I hear they're still trying to figure out what to do with zOMG's assets. (like sprites, art, etc) It's speculated that we'll see monsters in Towns 2, but it'll probably be a long while until we hear anything about that.
SSJScygoku wrote: ^.^ Aion is definitely awesome,I remember waiting outside the opposing faction's city after exploring and doing quests. Then someone left the floating city and attacked me, so I turned them into a tree and opened a portal to escape xD
Sounds awesome! I recently saw an ad displayed on Crunchyroll that featured Aion. It looks like a gorgeous game, I'll have to look into it sometime. It might still be a bit much for my computer though, considering I'm running on a dual core processor and don't have super high end graphics or anything.
Bullet Biter wrote:Thanks to .hack I've spent a solid 10 years MMO jumping and the only two I really enjoyed were Mabinogi and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

I still play Mabinogi here and there, and thankfully they've updated their game to keep pace with their userbase growing older (ie: more convenient travel and other quality of life improvements from 'vanilla Mabinogi') so it's still fun to play and doesn't feel dated for a 10+ year old MMO. It has more of a Log Horizon feel than a .hack feel though, but I still like it.

Most of my free time is devoted to Final Fantasy though. The entire concept of it being a second revision of the original game gives me some GU vibes so that got me roped in and now I'm hooked. It's not as "free" as the older MMOs I used to play in the way of character builds and stat allocation, but it doesn't bother me all that much. Plus...damn this game is pretty and it doesn't cause your GPU to go up in flames like the original version did!
Whoa that is pretty cool...! An older MMO like Mabinogi might actually be more fun for me since my machine can barely handle anything made during this decade. Even though I never finished watching Log Horizon, I actually liked what little of it I did see, so I'd totally be cool playing a game with that kind of feel.

As for Final Fantasy- the fact that it's both gorgeous AND doesn't kill one's CPU sounds really promising. I actually might download the free trial this Saturday since that's the day I can dedicate to super long downloads and the like. I look forward to giving it a try! :lol:

(Sorry this post turned out kind of lengthy! I hope nobody minds my silly walls of text!)
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Here's a video with Gameplay, and a description of how combat works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKOst6Q3ic
Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment simulates a virtual reality massively multiplayer online role-playing game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online. The player controls the on-screen player character, Kirito, from a third-person perspective. Within the game, players explore monster-infested fields and dungeons.

Players can attack monsters in real time. The player only directly controls Kirito, while the other characters are controlled by artificial intelligence. Players can issue a simple command to AI controlled characters (recover, defend, switch, etc.). Sufficient SP is required to use skills. Kirito will gain small amount of SP from each attack landed on target and large amount of SP from a successfully parry.

When a boss room is found, after fulfilling all the requirements, the player can initiate a boss raid and a party of up to eight people will be formed (Kirito, his partner, and other candidates from other guilds).

In street area of the 76th Floor, Arksophia, the character's hometown in the game, player may restock on items, customize their appearance, buy equipment, or chat with other players. The player may also undertake optional quests.

Its gameplay system is similar to the Infinity Moment's gameplay system. However, a burst gauge, which allows continuous attacks as long as the player has enough burst energy left, was added to its battle system. Also, the system allows each player to create their own non-player character to battle alongside with, as well as linking up with a maximum of 4 other players who are playing the game on the PlayStation Vita to play the game simultaneously, allowing players to form their own raid teams. A region, called Hollow Area, that was added to the game is designated for such multiplayer gameplay.
Plus the game has some references to .hack as well, and since both were handled by bamco, the similarities in things from items to characters themselves can't be coincidence.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Thanks for the video! I really appreciate it :D

...Bleh I don't wanna play as Kirito :/
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

MizuTakishima wrote: Hmm maybe! I'm not familiar with the SAO game, since I only watched the anime when it aired on Toonami. (I knew the anime existed back when it was airing online, but from the gifs I saw on tumblr, it seemed like it would have a few scenes that would most likely make me uncomfortable, so I was content with watching an edited version of the show) I'm curious to know more about the game though! :)
You won't have to worry about the problem you put in the spoiler box for the latest SAO game Lost Song as you aren't restricted to just one @.@
MizuTakishima wrote:Yeah, I hear they're still trying to figure out what to do with zOMG's assets. (like sprites, art, etc) It's speculated that we'll see monsters in Towns 2, but it'll probably be a long while until we hear anything about that.
.-. awww now the long wait begins to see what becomes of this.
MizuTakishima wrote:Sounds awesome! I recently saw an ad displayed on Crunchyroll that featured Aion. It looks like a gorgeous game, I'll have to look into it sometime. It might still be a bit much for my computer though, considering I'm running on a dual core processor and don't have super high end graphics or anything.
^^' yeah that may be hard to run on your computer, the game does require alot of processing power to run as you can tell from how detailed Aion is.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

I just started playing Mabinogi, and oh man, I adore it!

It's nice to finally play a game that runs well on my computer and allows me to stay logged onto skype at the same time!

Plus it's just insanely fun. I didn't like the combat system at first, but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's actually pretty brilliant. I can't just smash my attacks like I usually do, I have to actually pace myself XD

Plus the art is just really beautiful and the sounds can be quite relaxing. I even joined a guild!

Also. So many .hack references, omg

I'm Mizulyn on there if anyone still plays it on a regular basis.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

MizuTakishima wrote:I just started playing Mabinogi, and oh man, I adore it!
^_^ not played the game but glad to hear you are enjoying it,reminds me alittle of Ragnarok 2.

Whats the name of your guild? :P Twilight Brigade?

xD really? I wasn't expecting any .hack references