Visual Novels on Steam

Video game discussion, encompassing all genres and platforms

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Visual Novels on Steam

Post by Kaori »

Back then, when Steam was new, VN's weren't very common, until Mangagamer came along, now, you got all sorts of Visual Novels on Steam, RPG, SRPG, Dating sim's, and tourism simulators. And I'm personally quite happy with this turnout, my poor laptop can barely run the start menu of fallout 3, so I tend to stick to Visual Novels, sometimes those with gameplay, but I'll personally never forget the first VN I ever got, it was Shuffle! BTW, so what do you think of visual novels on Steam? You have any favorites among them? Let me know and I might give it a try, on Steam, I would reccomend Sunrider to those who want some SRPG gameplay to go with the VN.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Re: Visual Novels on Steam

Post by Helbaworshipper »

My problem is that I usually want to play something that doesn't include stat grinding. The ones I have played that don't require it have had their own issues. I guess I'll list the ones I've played in that I've finished and such...

Finished Everything:

Heileen 1 - It's okay, just kind of short and a bit boring...

Heileen 2 - A bit longer, but it was a bit stronger...

Always Remember Me - It is an okay process to grind, but I feel like I'm not sure every path would have been worth havin to do a bit less. Special endings, you know.

Date Warp - Actually felt like a visual novel, if you didn't count the pipe dream puzzles. It was interesting for some paths, but most of the time they kind of felt like it was necessary. Especially for the true ending.

Dysfunctional Systems 1 - Very little interaction and the story was kind of eh...

Flowershop Summer (Fairbrook game) - It took forever to get the endings, and the person you played felt really unlikeable...

Flowershop Winter (Female Fairbrook game) - It was a bit too much easier compared to Summer and had two endings. That made it kind of annoying when achieving the normal ends.

Nicole (Otome version?) - The grinding in this bugged me a lot. I liked a few of the paths and it didn't feel entirely like a chore, but it was good to know this one allowed you to unlock both endings...

Pyrite Heart - Oh... this was a terrible and short one. There weren't even achievements for this one... And it was a waste of time.

Sakura Spirit - I lost interest in the story by the time you get the one choice that only changes what CGs you see.

Shan Gui - More of a kinetic novel to me, but it was okay.

Rising Angels (the "free" one): Reborn - It was okay. I liked it, but it wasn't something I wanted to keep.

Storyline finished:

Analogue: A hate story - It had an interesting storyline and I felt like it had potential.

Fading Hearts - I paid full price for this game back when it came out. It was okay for some paths, but it was almost impossible for me to even approach one ending...

Hate Plus - Not a big complaint, but the fact you can't get one of the achievements because it isn't programmed in is not a happy thought.

Long Live the Queen - This was probably the most annoying one I did play. I had to use walkthroughs for a lot of the alternate endings and deaths. Seriously... why make it that hard to figure out?

Loren the Amazon Princess - I got all of the story down mostly with the female. Problem is that the guy's stuff was so tedious...

Still "working" on it:

Magical Diary - I do walkthroughs and I still fail to get to the one path I want...

Heileen 3 - It's... not even worth all the time you have to spend grinding and hoping to pick the right choices...

Science Girls - I haven't gone back to it in a long while, but maybe I'll get back to it.

Sunrider - I'm not even sure I want to go into it quite yet... but it's in my library.

Spirited Heart Delux - As much as I liked the concept it was a bit more boring than I'd like it to have been... And it was really tedious.
zaseo

Re: Visual Novels on Steam

Post by zaseo »

Sunrider got a story update and stuff. I need to get back to it.