Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kerath

Re:

Post by Kerath »

Umbra wrote:Tsukasa was just a name chosen for its ambiguity, it can be a first or last name, male or female, a real name or a nickname.

The name Tsukasa adds to the mystery that surrounded him throughout the series.
Sorry, if this has been covered in this thread already, but I have not had time to read all 10 pages but I found this on .hack Wiki "The name "Tsukasa" comes from the character for the "Ji" (司) in "Shouji"."
azureeagle
Ride on Shooting Star
Ride on Shooting Star

Re: Origin of names

Post by azureeagle »

( sorry if this has already been posted)

According to AI Buster 1, Balmung is deprived from the name of some legendary sword.

And Carl's name comes from a real world snack called Karl.

I hope this doesn't count as spoilers. If so please tell me. :?
Twilight_Knight

Post by Twilight_Knight »

And Sieg is supposed to be Siegfried, right?
After the wielder of the sword Balmung is named after?

And Endrance/Endurance could be named so because of the things he's endured, like the love of his life being lost multiple times?
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

Twilight_Knight wrote:And Sieg is supposed to be Siegfried, right?
Yep. He felt that Balmung was his rival, so he chose the name as a sort of message that Sieg held power over Balmung.
Versus Knight

Post by Versus Knight »

Kite in Japanese means a Knight
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Kaoshima wrote:According to my Sociology textbook: "Thomas S. Kuhn, a historian of science, coined the term paradigm to describe the set of shared concepts, methods and assumptions that make up scientific reality at any point in time."

And thus, Kuhn. :)
I know this is an old post, but I'd like to point out that if I remember correctly, Kuhn appears to be a common surname for famous people. XD

And to the person above me, Kite is derived from "kaito", which means thief (or something like that).
Kuukai wrote:Atoli is from the name of her bird (toli=tori=bird)
Another ancient post, I believe "atori" is a specific type of bird.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Azure Knight wrote:
Twilight_Knight wrote:And Sieg is supposed to be Siegfried, right?
Yep. He felt that Balmung was his rival, so he chose the name as a sort of message that Sieg held power over Balmung.
At first I thought sieg was balmung
Kuroinu

Post by Kuroinu »

Versus Knight wrote:Kite in Japanese means a Knight
No, Kite is an english word, however romanized from katakana it is "Kaito" which is like "Kaitou" which translates to "Phantom thief" .hack was originally supposed to be a phantom thief series, and even though it changed, the "Kaitou" seemed to stick.
Alisa makora

Re:

Post by Alisa makora »

juunishi master wrote:Oh right. It's another possibility too.

(Looks like I'm going to write a lot again, so sorry for my English.)

I've found something interesting about the name "Endrance".

I've thought it over and found out that in Japanese, Endrance's name maybe read as "En-du-ran-su" (not sure about this one, because I only read the character found in my Japanese lesson book). The word "En-du-ran-su" could be Endurance if we Romanize it, not Endrance.

Is it another mistranslation?

Hehe.
i remember thinking his name was "endurance" the first time i scrolled through character descriptions on a whim. it makes sense, however: mia dissappeared, he kept searching(i'd imagine anyway.), then the fire and his search put on hold by the shutdown of R:1. i'd imagine, being who he is, the first day of R:2's release he came back and in an show of his determination, put his name as "endrance" or "endurance": he wouldnt stop until he found his mia again.

damn, i cant wait until the producers put out that novel. they apparently are makeing a novel to chronicle the time after the I.M.O.Q events, includeing what happened to mia and elk. it was annouced in one of the manga in the backpages, in terribly written japanese text.

it should answer a few questions, atleast.
i forget what they're gonna call it. lemme wiki.

Edit: hack//ChupChopCase. it was sacked at first, but it's now apparently included in the .hack//LINK game.
sweet. now i just need to wait forever and a day for them to (hopefully) release it in america.
Alisa makora

Post by Alisa makora »

welll~ i just found something new and interesting things after reading a bit on ireland and its folklore. yay for folklore and nerdiness!
more titles and place names then people, but still cool.

ever wonder where orca and balmung got their titles? the descendants of fianna?
Fianna: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fianna
it fits them really well. they dont "belong" to an organization, a "land" but they are called upon when needed. landless warriors. kite also follows this trend, in a way.

W.B yeats: an actual author http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._B._Yeats

also the lost grounds:
coite bodher battlefield: : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B3iste-bodhar
The name comes from a Cóiste-bodhar, or a death carriage: a sort of death omen from irish folklore. Fitting for a “battle field” and for what takes place there in the epitaph and the GU storyline.

morrigu barrow wall: if it hasnt been noticed yet, "morrigu" is simply another name for "morrigan" the triple goddess of war that morganna gains her name from. if i remember the epitaph correctly, its a wall that stands between the mortals and the gods. its fitting, i think, as morganna was a "goddess" before aura was born.

hope this doesnt count as a double post, but it HAS been a month. :D
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Playing Age of Mythology recently, I realized just how many of the things in .hack// (and other series) come from mythology (especially Norse).

On-topic: This has probably been said before, but Folset refers to a god in Norse mythology, "Forseti" - I forgot what his role is, though... anyone care to look it up?

Off-topic: This also leads me to believe that the people who fan-translated the early Fire Emblem games were complete idiots. I can go into further detail if you want, but that can't be in this thread.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:On-topic: This has probably been said before, but Folset refers to a god in Norse mythology, "Forseti" - I forgot what his role is, though... anyone care to look it up?
lulzWiki wrote:Forseti (Old Norse "the presiding one", actually "president" in Modern Icelandic and Faroese) is the Æsir god of justice, peace and truth in Norse mythology.
God of Justice, Peace, and Truth. Fits well, i suppose.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, it makes sense that the "God of Law" would be named after Forseti. :P
bloodcandylove

Post by bloodcandylove »

Sorry if this has been posted before. I read the first page and the last page, but nothing in between.

Mia from the games is actually Macha from Sign. She used to be Macha, anyway, which is why they're both purple cats and Mia transforms into the Wave Macha. This is also why Mia cries when Tsukasa gives her Aromatic Grass even though she doesn't remember him and why she likes Aromatic Grass so much in the first place. And Macha gets his/her name from a Celtic mother goddess, Macha, one of the Morrigan.

Mimiru might have named her PC after Mimika, a player that sacrificed her PC to save Mimiru from a really strong monster when Mimiru was playing with a different PC.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

The whole Tsukasa thing was already known widely. Mimika/Mimiru isn't quite as well known :P
bloodcandylove

Post by bloodcandylove »

It was a really touching episode... With Mimika, I mean.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Didn't watch Intermezzo, the beginning didn't appeal to me... maybe I'll watch it later :p I've been wanting to rewatch SIGN anyhow...
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

I would like to point out to people that in order to get a proper 'du' sound in Japanese, more than one kana need to be strung together.

Endrance's name is spelled Endoransu in Japanese.

Endurance would be Endo(yu)ransu エンドュランス Or, would be spelled, Enjuransu, エンヅランス.

So I highly doubt that his name has anything to do with that... however, I will concede victory to whomever can provide factual documentation of the Endurance argument.

Balmung is indeed named after a sword, he is named after the sword Gram, which was named Balmung in Wagner's version of legend of Sigurdr, (Whom he named Siegfried). Wagner's version of the Nibelungenlied was known as Der Ring Des Nibelungs, "The Ring of the Nibelung" and is a very famous opera.

And of course many of the names come from Norse mythology, The World itself is based on Norse mythological concepts. Loosely in many cases, but still, if it had a parent, Norse mythology would be it.

Mimiru is probably based on Mimir, at least from a developmental standpoint, regardless of the fact that the canon explanation is an homage to Mimika...

More likely Mimika is named in order to allow Mimiru's backstory to fit. (Hell, she isn't even named until the credits)

Helba is more than likely a reference to Hel. Netslum could also likely have comparison drawn to Helheim.

Skeith means shadow in Gaelic... (And should most likely be pronounced Sky-t)

Ovan is means Ram, in some language I forgot...

Lios does indeed mean Light.

Bordeaux is an area in France known for producing different wines, many of which are red wines, linking her name to her hair color.

Gord is... gord... the Japanese simply love naming people after objects...

All of moon tree's leaders are named after trees.

"New Creatures"(Nuke and Rachel's comedy troupe) is a misromanization of "NyukuReicheru" or, "Nuke-Rachel"

Uchiyamada@bandai is a caricature of Uchiyama-san, a Bandai representative...

Can't think of anything else at the moment... nor do I have time, there are oni girls beckoning me to my doom...
brayanaustin

Post by brayanaustin »

Kawai Sora, a student of Matsuo Basho, who was considered the greatest poet of haiku of all time. Sora is also seen as a poet on his own.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I think every .hack fan ever knows that fact now... Haseo's name is also based off of Basho.