Wanna feel old? .hack//GU Vol. 1 came out a decade ago in North America

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

Wanna feel old? .hack//GU Vol. 1 came out a decade ago in North America

Post by Vallen »

On October 24th, 2016, in just under a month - it will officially be a decade since the first game of the GU trilogy came out in English. I remember anticipating this game greatly, seeing little ads in Shonen Jump and commercials posted to YouTube (didn't know of this site for a few more months back then).
My prior experience with .hack was with IMOQ, which I played in a non-chronological order and didn't beat two of the four games. I knew I liked the games, and I enjoyed SIGN on TV the prior year, so I was ready to start a new .hack adventure and actually follow the story this time. In retrospect, the wait period for GU Vol. 1 was harsh on me, it seemed like it would never end, which is perhaps why I remember it so well even 10 years later. So to come to a realization that a decade already went by is.. shocking.

--

I went ahead and dug up that old SJ with the ad, took me a bit to find it lol. Look at Pi's ass, the marketing guy deserved a promotion because half the sales were thanks to that ass rather than the cheesy dialog they sprinkled throughout.

SSJScygoku

Re: Wanna feel old? .hack//GU Vol. 1 came out a decade ago in North America

Post by SSJScygoku »

.-. wow that was so long ago, I recall first seeing the japanese teasers for G.U. and waiting for them to eventually come to the UK...which never happened. Pretty sure that left page was used as a magazine cover so i'm sure Pi got even more people into .hack back then xD

Now would be an awesome time to re-release these games,especially since the price has been high that they would definitely make money especially if they advertised alittle ^.^

Post by Avatar_Crim »

The sad part was back then, I didn't have a PS2, so when I saw them in gamestop, I always past on them. That certainly was some time ago.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

For me it feels weird looking at this image. When I see it I think "hey, there is that new .hack game coming out", the same feeling I had as a kid. But then I realize this is now a decade old. It's a conflicting feeling between impulsive impressions and the rational mind. My brain is telling me its 2016, but my heart is telling me "check out this new game". It's weird.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

So old. Gah!

I'm never selling that game. Or any of them!
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

You want to feel even older?

.hack//IMOQ series - Released between 2003 to 2004 in NA.

That was 12 to 13 years ago.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Helbaworshipper wrote:You want to feel even older?

The thing with those games is that I played them after they came out, there wasn't anticipation for them on my side. As for GU, I was counting down the minutes practically haha. So in my memory GU is 'that new game that I can't wait to play" - when in reality it's a decade old. (sorry image is not showing, photobucket is currently down)
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Vallen wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:You want to feel even older?

The thing with those games is that I played them after they came out, there wasn't anticipation for them on my side. As for GU, I was counting down the minutes practically haha. So in my memory GU is 'that new game that I can't wait to play" - when in reality it's a decade old. (sorry image is not showing, photobucket is currently down)
I actually saved up money from my allowance to buy the IMOQ series when each one was coming out... with the brady games guide that came from it.
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

If I remember right it was the first game to sell over 500k units before release...(historical significance)
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

5 months from JP release to US one was the quickest turn around time any .hack game had. Shame 2 & 3 were so delayed. Always wondered if there was a story behind that or not cause for awhile there it seemed like they weren't coming at all!

Was hype for 1's release myself but once I got my hands on it that faded fast lol.