When did you discover this forum?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

When did you discover this forum?

Post by Vallen »

Just curious, when did everyone discover dothackers?

I played the original IMOQ games as a kid, but never really cared to google them. I guess I wasn't too tech savvy back then, only started experimenting with the internet around mid 2003. But I remember really craving .hack news after I beat GU//Rebirth and the wait for Volume 2 began. I found this site in late 2006 or maybe even early 2007 (back when we had a main page).

The screenshots/trailers for Vol 2 were why I started using dothackers. I mostly lurked the main page, but I had an account. I didn't use it much, was active around summer 2007 in anticipation for Vol 3 of GU, but after that I got tired of the site. I lurked a little during the period of those .hack//Link petition but didn't really come back until .hack//Versus released in 2012. By that time I forgotten my password and email I used, so just made a new account. And as you can see, I still lurk and try to stay semi-active (sometimes I disappear for months though lol).
WorldEater21

Re: When did you discover this forum?

Post by WorldEater21 »

New user here! :)
I've already posted how I came across .hack (through some strange cross-over AMV on youtube) I didn't really look that further into it for a while as I wanted to watch other anime and I was heavily into bleach(nice picture btw, Vallen).
I was really drawn to the series as I just LOVED the concept and pretty much everything about it. I bought the games, read some of the manga and then eventually came across dothackers!
I didn't join straight away as I had never really cared for forums but eventually joined earlier this year to keep up with everything .hack related! :)
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

WorldEater21 wrote:New user here! :)
I've already posted how I came across .hack (through some strange cross-over AMV on youtube) I didn't really look that further into it for a while as I wanted to watch other anime and I was heavily into bleach(nice picture btw, Vallen).
I was really drawn to the series as I just LOVED the concept and pretty much everything about it. I bought the games, read some of the manga and then eventually came across dothackers!
I didn't join straight away as I had never really cared for forums but eventually joined earlier this year to keep up with everything .hack related! :)
Very nice. It's a shame you came along a little late haha, this place was much more lively a decade a ago >.<
But I still hope a .hack resurgence will happen one day.
Falions

Post by Falions »

I feel late to the party (I joined barely 2 years ago) but as someone who's been invested in .hack since he was a kid, it's inevitable that I've run into dothackers a few times. While I wasn't a member of the forum until recently, I've always come to dothackers for news and occasionally lurked the forums probably since I was a kid. I only ended up joining because I never had anyone to discuss it with.
WorldEater21

Post by WorldEater21 »

Vallen wrote:
WorldEater21 wrote:New user here! :)
Very nice. It's a shame you came along a little late haha, this place was much more lively a decade a ago >.<
But I still hope a .hack resurgence will happen one day.
Just a little bit late. haha
Oh so do I! One can hope, right?
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Falions wrote:I feel late to the party (I joined barely 2 years ago) but as someone who's been invested in .hack since he was a kid, it's inevitable that I've run into dothackers a few times. While I wasn't a member of the forum until recently, I've always come to dothackers for news and occasionally lurked the forums probably since I was a kid. I only ended up joining because I never had anyone to discuss it with.
Right, it's a shame when you're finally in the mood to discuss something by joining a forum, only to realize that forum is dead by the time you committed to it :'(

I still kick myself for not being more active in the mid 2000s, the .hack//VERSUS days were already the dead times lol. Though, I am happy I was a fan of .hack when it was relevant. It's such a joy being invested in a franchise when it's popular and has a following.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

I discovered this place a long time ago. like 04-05ish.. but I only ever lurked back then. Didn't create the account til.. what i think, 09?
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Avatar_Crim wrote:I discovered this place a long time ago. like 04-05ish.. but I only ever lurked back then. Didn't create the account til.. what i think, 09?
It seems a lot of us are that way. Maybe we were too young to understand what forums are for. Or maybe the internet wasn't quite as developed and mainstream just yet. I remember reading statistics that on average, many families didn't even get internet until 2006.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

I discovered it around.. 2010, which is the year I joined. I was looking for some .Hack information, about IMOQ's dungeons actually, and BAM, Dothackers came by. Then I stayed for the Role Play section, and kinda left when it died. I'm not in a RP forum and kinda lurking around this place at times. Maybe I'll get a certain Mobile Company's service and Cyber Connect's permission to turn G.U.//IMOQ into an actual MMORPG that works with Oculus, but that's only if my work is finally recognized by the first and get hired.

Well, now I'm just another one of that long list of "I discovered it a few years ago and then it died, so now I'm a lurker." users.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

AZURE-KITE wrote:Well, now I'm just another one of that long list of "I discovered it a few years ago and then it died, so now I'm a lurker." users.
Welcome to the club :lol:
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Pretty sure it was in 2004 when I first picked up .hack//INFECTION and ordered .hack//SIGN dvds,back then I was looking for any .hack information since there was very little about around. There were afew sites, one with some merchandise posted, one I used to spot the difference between the Platinum edition and normal edition's disc contents and dothackers.net which had any new .hack info :D

Back then we didn't have much in the way of .hack besides from what games of IMOQ were released,.hack//SIGN and .hack//LotT manga, after finding out there were novels aswell I was really happy when Tokyopop licensed many a .hack title back in the day ^_^
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

SSJScygoku wrote:Pretty sure it was in 2004 when I first picked up .hack//INFECTION and ordered .hack//SIGN dvds,back then I was looking for any .hack information since there was very little about around. There were afew sites, one with some merchandise posted, one I used to spot the difference between the Platinum edition and normal edition's disc contents and dothackers.net which had any new .hack info :D

Back then we didn't have much in the way of .hack besides from what games of IMOQ were released,.hack//SIGN and .hack//LotT manga, after finding out there were novels aswell I was really happy when Tokyopop licensed many a .hack title back in the day ^_^
Nice! I gotta ask, are any of those other .hack sites still up? Or is here the only .hack community left that remains?
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Vallen wrote: Nice! I gotta ask, are any of those other .hack sites still up? Or is here the only .hack community left that remains?
I believe The World R:2 forum is still up,as is cyberconnects2 as is dothackinfinity but .hack//Portal closed awhile ago. Those sites I used for information..i'm not sure since there is soo much .hack now,back then it was on the first few pages of a google search xD
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

I found this place in 2007.

....Wow, I'm old. And looking at some of my earlier posts is painful!
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

ReiMehari wrote:I found this place in 2007.

Right!? Like a year ago I went ahead and looked up my first posts.. I was so ashamed. I would probably be mean and report that kid if I saw him (that kid being my earlier self)

In a few months we'll be able to celebrate a decade of being a part of this site's community.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

totally. can I join even tho i haven't been technically registered for that full 10 lol.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Avatar_Crim wrote:totally. can I join even tho i haven't been technically registered for that full 10 lol.
Yeah for sure lol. Many of us first lurked, then joined, then lurked again :p

Post by Avatar_Crim »

good point.
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

Vallen wrote:
ReiMehari wrote:I found this place in 2007.

Right!? Like a year ago I went ahead and looked up my first posts.. I was so ashamed. I would probably be mean and report that kid if I saw him (that kid being my earlier self)

In a few months we'll be able to celebrate a decade of being a part of this site's community.
A decade... yikes. Now I really feel old.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Oh... now I'm going to feel REALLY old...

I discovered dothackers around the time .hack//SHATTERED was in the third installment or so. I'd been looking for .hack sites when I started to watch .hack//SIGN on Toonami in the afternoon. It went to midnight on Adult Swim pretty soon after that. I had to have my dad program the VCR so I could watch the episode the next day. During that time I saw an ad for the .hack//Infection game on television. I ended up saving my allowance to buy it.

As I said, SHATTERED was pretty strong and the community had a pretty active role playing section. I was in late middle school / high school at the time, since we were limited for computer time in general.

I started to join the community and enjoyed the rather active IRC chat at the time.

By the way... I was using dial up around the time I first visited the site.