Moderator: Moderators

Lindz

Archiving .hack sites / news?

Post by Lindz »

On the one hand: Rena's Room still exists
https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/hack_udeden/

On the other: CC2's G.U. site used to much much more then it is today
http://www.cc2.co.jp/gu/

Is backing up assets, images, text, even source code something the .hack community should be doing? Outright recreating a "mirror" version of these things may be going to far but taking screencaps along with saving info/pics couldn't be frowned upon! And archive.org can only help so much. CC2's Little Tail Story page is hidden away an has like no info on it anyway and Bamco's version is just outright gone. Who's to say the same won't happen to Guilty Dragon's pages once the games shuttered?

On a similar note would a list of links to press releases/news/reviews be worth keeping? For example I dun think Famitsu's gonna croak like anytime ever, but hey Game Trailers did. I ask this because I've been running into roadblocks simply finding release dates of some .hack goods but the announcements/news which preceeded said releases are kinda important to I think?
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Re: Archiving .hack sites / news?

Post by Erroneous »

This was the whole point to my project I been working on since 2012 called Dothack Network which you can find on Facebook and on it's own website. Many official sites and fan projects come and go by the internet and the assets and acknowledgement of their existence fades into the sea of the internet.

I basically held an unbiased blend of gathering anything dothack related. Be it the old Cyberconnect2 web pages, their news pages, shopping pages, giveaways (.hack//GU giveaway), promo sites like ALTIMIT Corp, etc... While I still have a ways to go, I am the sole provider working on this project. I have asked for help or tried to gather interests towards the project; I always came up empty-handed and continue to work alone when time provides. Recently having a child however has rendered the project limited to just quick simply Facebook post shares of all the recent news rather backlog of old historical sites. When time permits I will continue to republish all the stuff saved on my hard drive.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Its good ta know at least one persons taken up the task! But no helpers stinks! I mean its not hard to spend some hours searching ign/ann/whatever for articles on .hack. I'm not on facebook or things like that but I believe I've come across the site once or twice before. The layouts confusing to me who's used to just basically forums x.x It also looks a heck of alot like Integrability with even a similar url. Just to be sure those aren't one in the same?
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Lindz wrote:Its good ta know at least one persons taken up the task! But no helpers stinks! I mean its not hard to spend some hours searching ign/ann/whatever for articles on .hack. I'm not on facebook or things like that but I believe I've come across the site once or twice before. The layouts confusing to me who's used to just basically forums x.x It also looks a heck of alot like Integrability with even a similar url. Just to be sure those aren't one in the same?
The two both use the same forum software Invision Powered Suite. However the former site is strictly a role-playing site.

Some of the things up and still in development on the site include the Project GU teaser page, the old 2002 .hack page on Cyberconnect2's web site, news articles from CC2's News page, ALTIMIT CORP's news updates, .hack//LINK PSP Trial version, .hack//Quantum AR iOS app, Guilty Dragon for Android, New World Maiden of Silver Tears for Android, any many more other public and other freely distrusted content provided by the developers of the franchise. Once I figure a better means of organizing said stuff.
Falions

Post by Falions »

I would love to help with this, as I do spend a fair amount of time on archive.org looking at both old .hack sites and old versions of dothackers.net...
I even found a snapshot on archive.org complete with videos of interviews with the producer of .hack at the time! Lots of interesting stuff. They also have an archive of all the trailers and stuff uploaded on dothackers over the years, all of which I have downloaded.

The websites you linked were so great too, especially Rena's Room...
Again, I'm always down to help (and with my classes ending in ~3 weeks, I'll have a lot of free time), I just don't know if there's anything else I would be doing other than just snooping around the net for old .hack stuff.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Looks like its entirely possible Kotaku may be going down. Better start finding/saving their .hack articles huh?
Erroneous wrote:Some of the things up and still in development on the site include the Project GU teaser page, the old 2002 .hack page on Cyberconnect2's web site, news articles from CC2's News page, ALTIMIT CORP's news updates, .hack//LINK PSP Trial version, .hack//Quantum AR iOS app, Guilty Dragon for Android, New World Maiden of Silver Tears for Android, any many more other public and other freely distrusted content provided by the developers of the franchise. Once I figure a better means of organizing said stuff.
Wow those are really cool an pretty much what I was hoping for! Recreating all that has ta be the hard part. Wouldn't even know how ta do that, just finding things in the first place can be troublesome but much much simpler.
k-su

Post by k-su »

SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

CC2 often posts links on their FB page which seems to have conversations between characters,I'd advise adding that to the list of pages to store.I'd do so myself but no clue how besides from perhaps screenshoting? ^^' surely there is a better way?

e.g. http://www.cc2.co.jp/guiltyDragon/?p=26 ... m=facebook
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

SSJScygoku wrote:CC2 often posts links on their FB page which seems to have conversations between characters,I'd advise adding that to the list of pages to store.I'd do so myself but no clue how besides from perhaps screenshoting? ^^' surely there is a better way?

e.g. http://www.cc2.co.jp/guiltyDragon/?p=26 ... m=facebook
Been gathering those as well, seeing how GD is discontinued I can't imagine that space staying up longer. A lot of the older .hack//Infection and .hack//GU pages are all gone, even the location of old files are completely gone. Unless they moved it someplace I can't locate.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Erroneous wrote:Been gathering those as well, seeing how GD is discontinued I can't imagine that space staying up longer. A lot of the older .hack//Infection and .hack//GU pages are all gone, even the location of old files are completely gone. Unless they moved it someplace I can't locate.
^_^ Glad to hear you are on the ball with those GD pages,i'll assume New World will have pages like that aswell eventually. Plus I see you are updating the Dothack Collector page aswell :P
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

SSJScygoku wrote:i'll assume New World will have pages like that aswell eventually. Plus I see you are updating the Dothack Collector page aswell :P
Yeah, I been backing up the Project NU pages since it started. As for Dothack Collector, that's another project I dropped the ball on years ago; I'll be adding on to that when time permits.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Erroneous wrote: Yeah, I been backing up the Project NU pages since it started. As for Dothack Collector, that's another project I dropped the ball on years ago; I'll be adding on to that when time permits.
Glad to hear :D You seem to be doing an excellent job and making up for lost time, if you need any help with item photos I can try and lend a hand but you seem to have most items covered from what I can see from the assortment of albums. Only thing I can think of at the top of my head is photos of the .hack//TC&TCG (among the other japanese only cards) since I don't recall seeing much in the way of images of them online. The other TCGs like ENEMY,Victory Spark and G.U. The Card Battle have wiki entries with card images already on them.
d5t

Post by d5t »

If we all want an archive of dothackers I can try. The biggest issue is the news app is VERY outdated at this point and has potential security issues. Everything is still there, you just can't see it. 8)
Falions

Post by Falions »

d5t wrote:If we all want an archive of dothackers I can try. The biggest issue is the news app is VERY outdated at this point and has potential security issues. Everything is still there, you just can't see it. 8)
There were a few days there that the site just redirected to JapanYay with no warning, and I was worried it was finally the end for dothackers. I even messaged JapanYay about it, but no response. It was terrifying to think this forum with over a decade of discussion just vanished! So I think an archive would be a good way to preserve it.