Wave markings on character and elements

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

SuperSaiyanLink14

Wave markings on character and elements

Post by SuperSaiyanLink14 »

You know how there are the elements of .hack Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, Thunder, and Dark? Well I read in .hack AI Buster that on characters there are distinct Wave markings on PCs that represent their favorite elements (ex: Albireo and the Earth Wave marking on his shoulder). I'm helping a friend research the Waves and that's all we found out so far.

Does anyone know the others? Also, any picture of each different Wave marking would be helpful.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Wave marks can take any form. The only determining factor, really, is color.
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

AuraTwilight wrote:Wave marks can take any form. The only determining factor, really, is color.
so then is haseos fire seeing how his are read? and what of players that dont have any wave mark?
GoZero

Post by GoZero »

I don't think that's right. Blackrose's and Shino's wave mark were pink and there isn't a pink element, and like Ratsu said there are player without wave marks.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, there aren't. They just aren't immediately visible. For example, Atoli. It looks like she doesn't, but it's actually under her wings on her back. As for pink, several shades can belong to one element.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

No, color has nothing to do with it, and shape has everything to do with it.

This is a work in progress, a translation of a section in analysis, with a chart identifying the different wave shapes:
http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/User:Kuukai2#Wave_Shapes

As an example, Rena and Blackrose both have fire as their element. The Rena Special Pack confirms this. Even though the color of their tattoos is yellow (which is pretty much the only conceivable color to associate with thunder), they're in the "fire pattern" shape. Albireo's element can also be easily confirmed from this chart.

I'm pretty sure the Crest and the Wave are different, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, it's not really safe to assume that tattoos in R:2 are actually even related to this system...
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

Kuukai wrote:No, color has nothing to do with it, and shape has everything to do with it.

This is a work in progress, a translation of a section in analysis, with a chart identifying the different wave shapes:

As an example, Rena and Blackrose both have fire as their element. The Rena Special Pack confirms this. Even though the color of their tattoos is yellow (which is pretty much the only conceivable color to associate with thunder), they're in the "fire pattern" shape. Albireo's element can also be easily confirmed from this chart.

I'm pretty sure the Crest and the Wave are different, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, it's not really safe to assume that tattoos in R:2 are actually even related to this system...
and god said let Aura be pawned XD
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

Kuukai wrote:No, color has nothing to do with it, and shape has everything to do with it.

Yar, Kuukai is right. It's definitely shape.

And they refer to the symbols in R:2 as Wave Symbols don't they? I could have sworn I read that in some reliable material somewhere... What's the Crest you're referring too, because i thought that was related to the Magic of R:2... Which, in relation to replacing Wave or whatever, actually make sense really...

Nice table btw. If you need any help with that gimmie a holler.
AT wrote:For example, Atoli. It looks like she doesn't, but it's actually under her wings on her back.
And on her hat. Nevarh forget the hat.

I know I've read somewhere that Shino changed the her WAVE when she changed her colour scheme, and at that point the Wave symbol on her hat changes so...

Yeah, I'm still not getting what this Crest thing is.
Balmung2

Post by Balmung2 »

I should probably insert some sort of wrestlers plug for those two right here, but I am feeling to tired.

Yeah, this sounds sort of interesting. Are there any theories for R2, or are they just...random? I doubt they are...but, then again, a lot of things in R2 aren't really thought out fully...meh.
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

Balmung2 wrote:I should probably insert some sort of wrestlers plug for those two right here, but I am feeling to tired.

Yeah, this sounds sort of interesting. Are there any theories for R2, or are they just...random? I doubt they are...but, then again, a lot of things in R2 aren't really thought out fully...meh.
That's an empty assumption, most of R:2 is very well thought out. For one, it's got a back-story that R:1 lacked.

In fact, point out something that isn't well thought out, I can't think of any.
SuperSaiyanLink14

Post by SuperSaiyanLink14 »

Wow, thanks a ton Kuukai! That's just what I needed!
Sol

Tattoos and Elements

Post by Sol »

I found it rather ironic that, although he is called Orca of the Azue Sea, Orca has earth element tattoos. On top of that, Azure Flame Kite has lightning/thunder tattoos but uses fire.

With this in mind, has any evidence been shown of Azure Orca or Azure Balmung using water and wind attacks respectively? So far Azure Flame Kite is the only one living up to his name.
Ratsu

Re: Tattoos and Elements

Post by Ratsu »

Sol wrote:I found it rather ironic that, although he is called Orca of the Azue Sea, Orca has earth element tattoos. On top of that, Azure Flame Kite has lightning/thunder tattoos but uses fire.

With this in mind, has any evidence been shown of Azure Orca or Azure Balmung using water and wind attacks respectively? So far Azure Flame Kite is the only one living up to his name.
I alwayse hurd kite had flame element marks O.o
Sol

Re: Tattoos and Elements

Post by Sol »

Ratsu wrote:
Sol wrote:I found it rather ironic that, although he is called Orca of the Azue Sea, Orca has earth element tattoos. On top of that, Azure Flame Kite has lightning/thunder tattoos but uses fire.

I alwayse hurd kite had flame element marks O.o
Lightning element tattoos usually take the shape of triangles and zigzags while fire is usually shaped like a spit of fire. Kite and Azure Kite have triangular tattoos on their cheeks, thus it can be said that they have lightning element tattoos.

Additionally, do wave tattoos actually affect the elemental status of the PCs? If I recall correctly this was true for some characters in the first World, except Kite had an equal status for all of his elements.
juunishi master

Post by juunishi master »

Do you remember this opening scene?

This one is Hokuto from .hack//AIBuster.

My friend in other forum discussed about these mark too several months later. He said this might be related with elements.

Hehe.
Last edited by juunishi master on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
StrikerSixx

Post by StrikerSixx »

in the wiki a fire and wind symbol are switched. the circle with the arc over it that is in BT's pic looks like it should be with the fire symbols. and the symbol behind mimiru looks like it should be in the wind section.

so a question. is the symbol on kite's hat representative of one of these elements? and if so which one? if anyone knows i'd also like to know.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Neither Kite, Balmung, nor Orca actually got their nickname from actual element affiliation, I'm pretty sure.
Ravaan wrote:And they refer to the symbols in R:2 as Wave Symbols don't they? I could have sworn I read that in some reliable material somewhere... What's the Crest you're referring too, because i thought that was related to the Magic of R:2... Which, in relation to replacing Wave or whatever, actually make sense really...
I'll have to check about the Crest, but I think it's different from the Wave. I think the only person calling the tattoos in R:2 "wave symbols" is someone else on the wiki. There's absolutely no source for this.

There's no error in my table. You can combine symbols for various meanings. From analysis:
Earth + Water = Life, Lake, Ice

Water + Wind + Thunder = Storm

Flames + Wind = Winds of Flame (In parentheses next to this it says "magic", so they might be referring to Vak Rom)

Flames + Wind = Scorching Winds
shio

Post by shio »

so much information to learn in the world of .hack =)
Ravaan

Post by Ravaan »

Kuukai wrote:Neither Kite, Balmung, nor Orca actually got their nickname from actual element affiliation, I'm pretty sure.

I'll have to check about the Crest, but I think it's different from the Wave. I think the only person calling the tattoos in R:2 "wave symbols" is someone else on the wiki. There's absolutely no source for this.
1) Yeah, their titles have nothing to do with their elements. W.B.Yeats just picked the most poetic I s'pose, and Kite's just fits in with that. For example, If Albeiro or BlackRose had Descendant titles, I guess they'd be something like Albeiro of the Azure Stars and BlackRose of the Azure Thorns. Just 'cus they sound right. >_>

2) Ah right. Yeah, it's from .hack//Wiki on the Shino page, I just checked. Personally, naming them "Crest Symbols" makes more sense to me than "Wave Symbols". It ties in better with R:2's story, and prevents a lot of confusion with the Cursed Wave. I'll dig around, but I doubt I'll find anything.
juunishi master

Post by juunishi master »

Wind? Is there wind element in the game?

I think the green one should be reffered as wood not wind.

The element are wood >< earth, fire >< water and thunder >< darkness.

I don't remember if there is wind element (in R:1, I don't know in R:2)

Hehe.