The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Kaori » Wed May 25, 2016 10:31 am

Okay, remember those good old days when shows with giant robots were prevalent and all? I always tuned into the local channels for Filipino dubbed mecha shows like Voltes V and some of the older Gundam shows, these days crap like attack on titan or sword art online flood the airwaves, I'm a mild SAO fan myself but I really don't think too badly of it, attack on titan is another story though, its basically a muv-luv rip-off and I'm pretty sure giant man eating humanoids would be crushed under their own weight, Then we have mecha with unnecesary gimmicks added like code geass and their "geass", valvrave with their space vampires, and others over the recent years I will decline mentioning as the list is rather long, come on people, why do you watch stuff like this? Is it some longing to want to belong to that world? Or are your taste's just like that?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Avatar_Crim
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Avatar_Crim » Wed May 25, 2016 2:05 pm

i personally enjoyed code geass and all it had lol.
crim crim crim crim

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Kaori » Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Avatar_Crim wrote:i personally enjoyed code geass and all it had lol.

I dunno, most people are idiots in that universe and end up doing pretty stupid things, I've got a list but its rather long and goes into all episodes at least once.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Avatar_Crim
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Avatar_Crim » Wed May 25, 2016 11:54 pm

oh i agree. I just enjoyed it since its a wannabe mecha with superpowers(?) i guess. I don't know, i like these random shows. I'm usually pretty picky when it comes mech stuff. like for instance, which i know its probably not a good example, but i don't like gurren lagann, or big o, and many others.

As to be back on topic I guess, there is a giant decline in my eyes. I personally would like more macross whichhhhh now that i think about it. Delta should have started airing last month. woot, a sequel to frontier. Really enjoyed frontier.
crim crim crim crim

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Kaori » Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 am

Avatar_Crim wrote:oh i agree. I just enjoyed it since its a wannabe mecha with superpowers(?) i guess. I don't know, i like these random shows. I'm usually pretty picky when it comes mech stuff. like for instance, which i know its probably not a good example, but i don't like gurren lagann, or big o, and many others.

As to be back on topic I guess, there is a giant decline in my eyes. I personally would like more macross whichhhhh now that i think about it. Delta should have started airing last month. woot, a sequel to frontier. Really enjoyed frontier.

Yeah, Delta's pretty good, and last I checked, 8 episodes are out, I'm rather annoyed though how mecha pilots try to talk to their enemies or even spare them, its like some bad shounen anime, as the new Gundam points out, kill or be killed, its much worse since there are no energy weapons in the new setting, so have fun getting crushed or sliced to death in your cockpit, I once saw a guy get swatted by the main characters gundam and ended up as a red smear on the snow, what sane soldier talks to their enemy anyway? Sure it humanizes them but they are still out to kill you, that led to multiple gruesome deaths in the show already.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:44 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Erroneous » Thu May 26, 2016 3:03 am

Rom-com's have taken the anime world during todays day and age. Surely mecha will return someday.

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Kaori » Thu May 26, 2016 6:33 am

Its sad when you try to join an anime forum only to be told that your tastes are garbage, to hell with those people, ugh, none of these younger stuff is appealing to an old mecha fan like myself, and no I do not think gurren lagann is a mecha anime, then there are all these protagonists who go around with their idealism and crap about rising to the top with guts and determination, whatever happened to bringing guns to a knife fight or shooting your enemy while they talk?
ImageImageImage

User avatar
zaseo
.hack//aficionado
.hack//aficionado
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby zaseo » Fri May 27, 2016 5:12 am

I think mecha is going to make a bit of a comeback with Gundam. Gundam IBO is showing in US next week and the US hasn't had Gundam since Seed. As for anime in general I would say there is an over saturation. However all the anime that I watch today, I watched as a kid growing up because the series is either long running and or been brought back. Also those series are significantly more popular than the new stuff today. In a sense nothing has changed for me.
ImageImage
Image

User avatar
Avatar_Crim
.hack//legend
.hack//legend
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Avatar_Crim » Mon May 30, 2016 11:57 pm

zaseo wrote: Gundam IBO is showing in US next week and the US hasn't had Gundam since Seed.


yeah, and imo, seed was subpar. I look forward to iron blood orphan tho seeing as i have put off watching it from lazyness but now I get to watch it in english lol.
crim crim crim crim

User avatar
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Erranty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:34 am

zaseo wrote:I think mecha is going to make a bit of a comeback with Gundam. Gundam IBO is showing in US next week and the US hasn't had Gundam since Seed. As for anime in general I would say there is an over saturation. However all the anime that I watch today, I watched as a kid growing up because the series is either long running and or been brought back. Also those series are significantly more popular than the new stuff today. In a sense nothing has changed for me.

We got Unicorn and 00 Gundam.

User avatar
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina
Posts: 4280
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Kaori » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:45 am

Erranty wrote:
zaseo wrote:I think mecha is going to make a bit of a comeback with Gundam. Gundam IBO is showing in US next week and the US hasn't had Gundam since Seed. As for anime in general I would say there is an over saturation. However all the anime that I watch today, I watched as a kid growing up because the series is either long running and or been brought back. Also those series are significantly more popular than the new stuff today. In a sense nothing has changed for me.

We got Unicorn and 00 Gundam.

00 was alright, but it aired in some no name channel, and Unicorn was only for home video.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Re: The decline of mecha and the rise of nerd fulfillment....

Postby Erranty » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:33 pm

When anime became mainstream it started to pander to the audience. It used to be engineers and nerds, now it's just everyday people off the street. That's why it's changing.


Return to “Anime”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users