Best of Netflix Anime Help

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Rhapsody

Best of Netflix Anime Help

Post by Rhapsody »

As well as being new to the boards, I'm pretty new to the anime scene. The only actual anime stuff I own is from .hack. So far I've watched Claymore and the Sacred Blacksmith on my instant que and loved them. Is there any other great anime I should check out available for my instant que?
Zeroke

Re: Best of Netflix Anime Help

Post by Zeroke »

Your in luck, I used to have Netflix and solely focused on anime.

I found ones such as Avatar: the last airbender that once showed on nickelodeon (a kids channel). It's a little childish, but has an interesting story, nevertheless. 3 volumes-water,earth,and fire in that order.

There is also Kaze No Stigma, a show that is also based on the elements. There are only 2 volumes I have found on netflix so far, but they have been interesting. What I like most is that the main character is a smartass who is paired up with a tempermental girl.

D. Grayman is also on netflix and there are 2 volumes for it. The diversity of powers and abilities is a nice change of scenery, and the show also has good comedy to it. Very nice show and I fell in love with one of the main villians (Road Kamelot). Go and find out who she is, I dare you...

There is also Devil May Cry series that is based off the game with the same title. Focuses on a demon hunter named Dante who meets this mysterious girl named Patty.

Fullmetal Alchemist is there as well. Now, LISTEN AND I WILL CLARIFY, that there are TWO different series for FA: One is based on the story told by Adult Swim (a program that airs anime shows) which is COMPLETELY different from what is told in the other "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". Brotherhood is based solely off the manga (JP comic) that tells the actual story for the series. The Adult Swim version was just some company spanning the story from something that was incomplete (the manga) and you will find much of this in anime series of how manga and anime counterparts are different from eachother. You may only find the Adult Swim version, which is still decent just not accurate.

There are others I remember seeing and loved, but I cannot remember their names, sorry. The ones I have posted so far are series that I personally love (and remembered their names). Now if I could only get it back. I have more suggestions for animes, but they are not on the "instant" netflix as far as I have seen. PM me if you want more...I have watched anime since I was a little kid, and still watch it even now.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Zeroke wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist is there as well. Now, LISTEN AND I WILL CLARIFY, that there are TWO different series for FA: One is based on the story told by Adult Swim (a program that airs anime shows) which is COMPLETELY different from what is told in the other "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". Brotherhood is based solely off the manga (JP comic) that tells the actual story for the series. The Adult Swim version was just some company spanning the story from something that was incomplete (the manga) and you will find much of this in anime series of how manga and anime counterparts are different from eachother. You may only find the Adult Swim version, which is still decent just not accurate.
And now i must really clarify you on that part >3>

Adult Swim had NOTHING to do with the making of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series...in fact, Adult Swim has nothing to do with the making of anime period. Always remember that, except in very special cases, anime always comes from Japan and therefore it is created and produced by Japanese studios...none of that Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon or anything. And in fact, those 2 mentioned aren't even anime studios...they're just TV Networks that buy series from producers/licensers and put them on TV in hopes to get ratings and money from the people who'd watch them. The usual road an anime takes from the time it's created to the time you can see it on your TV goes like this:
Japanese Studio creates it -> Shown on Japan TV -> Bought by US Licenser when it gets popular enough -> Dubbed and adapted by US Licenser/Producer to suit their likes and needs -> Bought by interested TV Network -> Shown on TV Network

That said, the ones "responsible" of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and making it different from the manga are the Bones studio, and even so, it was all by decision of Hiromu Arakawa herself, the very creator of the series. The anime was going at a much faster pace than the manga (which was expected...the anime being released weekly and the manga having a new chapter per month), and instead of delaying the series or developing the same story from the manga even before the respective manga was released, they chose on developing the story in a different way while letting the manga go on like it has been. And right when the manga was about to end, Bones and Arakawa decided on making a new FMA series, now entirely following the manga. It's VERY similar to what happened with Hellsing...they also released an anime series when the manga was far from over, and so, only the first few episodes focused on the manga while the rest were a completely different story. And now that they've advanced further with the manga, they're making a new series (Hellsing Ultimate), which will focus much more on the manga now there are more chapters to base it on.
So yeah, i wouldn't call the first series the "Adult Swim version", considering Adult Swim had NOTHING to do with it other than showing it on US television (not even in Mexico, Animax did that instead.lol). I'd just call it the "first series", "original series" (even though the second one is actually the "original", but yeah), or simply FMA while referring to Brotherhood as FMA:Brotherhood or FMA:B.

Anyways, now that i'm done with that rant...well, i've never used Netflix and i didn't even know what that thing was until a few months ago, so yeah, i can't definetly recommend you any anime from there (i watched anime long before that thing existed...damn i'm old ._. lol). What can i do, however, is recommend you 3 anime series which i consider among the very best. You'll most surely won't find them in Netflix...but i truly recommend you to watch them, especially if you do want to get in the "anime scene":
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Death Note
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
You can't say you know about anime until you've watched at least one of them. Sure, there's alot more awesome and legendary series, starting with the basics (the original Dragon Ball and Pokemon, for example), but in my opinion, they're the best in most general aspects and really recommended if you want to know what anime is truly all about.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

I dont netflix but I'd recommend lucky star.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

You're in luck, I watch as much anime as I can when I'm on Netflix. They have FLCL, Baccano, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig, Birdy the Mighty: Decode Part 1 and 2, Darker than Black, Spice and Wolf: Season 1, XXXholic, Mushi-Shi, Basilisk, Appleseed and Karas. I hear good things about Eden of the East, Gurren Lagann and Samurai 7, but I have yet to watch them. Black Blood Brothers and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom: Part 1 and 2 aren't bad either.

They don't have Rurouni Kenshin, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, Kara no Kyokai(aka Garden of Sinners), Lucky Star, Haruhi Suzumiya, Macross Frontier or Code Geass.
Rhapsody wrote:As well as being new to the boards, I'm pretty new to the anime scene. The only actual anime stuff I own is from .hack. So far I've watched Claymore and the Sacred Blacksmith on my instant que and loved them. Is there any other great anime I should check out available for my instant que?
I tried watching that and dropped it after the first episode. I could not stand Cecily. I know in the manga, she is much more competent. Claymore is good and I really liked it too.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

'NGE' is a must for anyone who wants to get into anime.
'Ghost in The Shell: SAC' is another good starting point, and it's a bit more 'accessible' than 'NGE', in my honest opinion.

As far as films go, 'The Girl who leaped through Time' and 'Summer Wars' are both pretty accessible.

...If you're not looking for accessibility, and want something a bit more 'off the wall', have a look at 'Dead Leaves', 'Blue Submarine no. 6' and 'FLCL'.

PS: If you plan on watching 'The Rebuild of Evangelion', watch the original series first. It will spare you a world of disappointment.
Zeroke

Post by Zeroke »

TheSorrow wrote:
Zeroke wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist is there as well. Now, LISTEN AND I WILL CLARIFY, that there are TWO different series for FA: One is based on the story told by Adult Swim (a program that airs anime shows) which is COMPLETELY different from what is told in the other "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood". Brotherhood is based solely off the manga (JP comic) that tells the actual story for the series. The Adult Swim version was just some company spanning the story from something that was incomplete (the manga) and you will find much of this in anime series of how manga and anime counterparts are different from eachother. You may only find the Adult Swim version, which is still decent just not accurate.
And now i must really clarify you on that part >3>

Adult Swim had NOTHING to do with the making of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series...in fact, Adult Swim has nothing to do with the making of anime period. Always remember that, except in very special cases, anime always comes from Japan and therefore it is created and produced by Japanese studios...none of that Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon or anything. And in fact, those 2 mentioned aren't even anime studios...they're just TV Networks that buy series from producers/licensers and put them on TV in hopes to get ratings and money from the people who'd watch them. The usual road an anime takes from the time it's created to the time you can see it on your TV goes like this:
Japanese Studio creates it -> Shown on Japan TV -> Bought by US Licenser when it gets popular enough -> Dubbed and adapted by US Licenser/Producer to suit their likes and needs -> Bought by interested TV Network -> Shown on TV Network

That said, the ones "responsible" of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and making it different from the manga are the Bones studio, and even so, it was all by decision of Hiromu Arakawa herself, the very creator of the series. The anime was going at a much faster pace than the manga (which was expected...the anime being released weekly and the manga having a new chapter per month), and instead of delaying the series or developing the same story from the manga even before the respective manga was released, they chose on developing the story in a different way while letting the manga go on like it has been. And right when the manga was about to end, Bones and Arakawa decided on making a new FMA series, now entirely following the manga. It's VERY similar to what happened with Hellsing...they also released an anime series when the manga was far from over, and so, only the first few episodes focused on the manga while the rest were a completely different story. And now that they've advanced further with the manga, they're making a new series (Hellsing Ultimate), which will focus much more on the manga now there are more chapters to base it on.
So yeah, i wouldn't call the first series the "Adult Swim version", considering Adult Swim had NOTHING to do with it other than showing it on US television (not even in Mexico, Animax did that instead.lol). I'd just call it the "first series", "original series" (even though the second one is actually the "original", but yeah), or simply FMA while referring to Brotherhood as FMA:Brotherhood or FMA:B.

Anyways, now that i'm done with that rant...well, i've never used Netflix and i didn't even know what that thing was until a few months ago, so yeah, i can't definetly recommend you any anime from there (i watched anime long before that thing existed...damn i'm old ._. lol). What can i do, however, is recommend you 3 anime series which i consider among the very best. You'll most surely won't find them in Netflix...but i truly recommend you to watch them, especially if you do want to get in the "anime scene":
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Death Note
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
You can't say you know about anime until you've watched at least one of them. Sure, there's alot more awesome and legendary series, starting with the basics (the original Dragon Ball and Pokemon, for example), but in my opinion, they're the best in most general aspects and really recommended if you want to know what anime is truly all about.
You have a point, Sorrow. I know that those programs aren't actually studios that develop it, but I didn't want to go through the explanation since it didn't seem important (easier to just say where you saw it aired). Though I didn't know about how the creator himself help direct the other series.
I have seen the animes you've recommended and I agree. Now I am going to stop typing this reply because the reply box is starting to give me trouble...

Gurren Laagan is on the instant Netflix, I at least remember that.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Zeroke wrote:You have a point, Sorrow. I know that those programs aren't actually studios that develop it, but I didn't want to go through the explanation since it didn't seem important (easier to just say where you saw it aired). Though I didn't know about how the creator himself help direct the other series.
It was the fact that you keep mentioning Adult Swim that really got me going D: You could've just simply said that there were 2 FMA series...The first which has its own story, and the second which is fully based on the manga, nothing else. No need to give such a wrong explanation of details, and if it wasn't any important to explain as you stated then it was an even less reason to spread wrong information .-.
nobodyknows wrote:PS: If you plan on watching 'The Rebuild of Evangelion', watch the original series first. It will spare you a world of disappointment.
Why is that, if i may know?
I haven't watched Rebuild of Evangelion though i've heard AMAZING comments about it D: And i'm planning on watching it sometime soon, at least the 2 episodes that have been released. And of course, i watched the original series already, more than once, and loved it to no end...But why would you recommend to watch the original series first before the new one?
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

TheSorrow wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:PS: If you plan on watching 'The Rebuild of Evangelion', watch the original series first. It will spare you a world of disappointment.
Why is that, if i may know?
I haven't watched Rebuild of Evangelion though i've heard AMAZING comments about it D: And i'm planning on watching it sometime soon, at least the 2 episodes that have been released. And of course, i watched the original series already, more than once, and loved it to no end...But why would you recommend to watch the original series first before the new one?

Because if you watch the original series beforehand, you won't be as disappointed with the ending as you would be if you'd started off by watching Rebuild-IMHO, a much better alternative to what NGE and EoE suggested.
Rhapsody

Post by Rhapsody »

Sweet Christmas! Thanks for the 700 hours of recommended watching lolz
laysh
Sage of Earth
Sage of Earth

Post by laysh »

It has Black Butler (Kuro Shitsuji) Enough said.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Well, it'd be best to avoid Black Butler Season II then.