Summer Wars

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Summer Wars

Post by Kuukai »

It's a movie out in Japan right now that explores a more realistic version of the "Network Crisis" seen in .hack. It was made by the same team behind the instant classic The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and just like that movie it features character designs by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who also did the character designs for .hack and Eva. (The latter of which is actually competing with Summer Wars right now in the Japanese box office. No matter who wins, Sadamoto makes lots of money.)

The plot is about a math genius high school student named Kenji who works part time in OZ, an online world where play and business come together, based loosely off of Second Life. His sempai, Natsuki, hires him in real life to pretend to be her fiance on a trip to visit her grandmother and very large extended family. Kenji receives a strange puzzle on his cell phone and solves it, only to later discover that he broke the encryption schemes protecting the business section of OZ. Real world chaos ensues, and Kenji gets all the blame. He has to fight to prove his innocence and stop the real hacker.

Trailer
First 5 minutes of the movie (official)

Plus, OZ is ruled by two flying whales named John and Yoko. I think that's sufficient to warrant watching this movie.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Re: Summer Wars

Post by nobodyknows »

Kuukai wrote:Plus, OZ is ruled by two flying whales named John and Yoko. I think that's sufficient to warrant watching this movie.
WHEN THE HECK WILL THIS AWESOME MOVIE GET BROADCASTED OUTSIDE OF JAPAN??
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

Seems pretty interesting, I enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, so I will keep an eye on this one from now on =D Thanks for the info!
Tobias

Post by Tobias »

I just watched this movie and thought it was amazing! I actually got on to make a thread and point out that very same thing. Other than .Hack though it reminded me of the Digimon movie which I am going to recommend to you guys...And I didn't even like Digimon.
Shin Amakiir

Post by Shin Amakiir »

Tobias wrote:I just watched this movie and thought it was amazing! I actually got on to make a thread and point out that very same thing. Other than .Hack though it reminded me of the Digimon movie which I am going to recommend to you guys...And I didn't even like Digimon.
Yeah. Same director as the Digimon movie, I think. My friend recommended Summer Wars to me, and I'm glad he did. Also, HD CRT! 8)
Nogarath

Post by Nogarath »

sounds quite interesting indeed
Kuukai wrote:Plus, OZ is ruled by two flying whales named John and Yoko. I think that's sufficient to warrant watching this movie.

as soon as i read that, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU started playin in my head
roru_aurarios

Post by roru_aurarios »

My favorite scene in Summer Wars is that Koi Koi Gamble Game ("Hanafuda") :) Here is a video posted by acparadise in Youtube demonstrating about the game at Katsucon 2011.

haseoxth
The Pain of Death
The Pain of Death
Location: I was told to go south,so I went where it was warmest,the sun.

Post by haseoxth »

nobodyknows wrote:
Theres actually a small theater about twenty minutes from my house that is playing it twice a week. They screened Evangelion 2.22 not to long ago.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

haseoxth wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:
Theres actually a small theater about twenty minutes from my house that is playing it twice a week. They screened Evangelion 2.22 not to long ago.
That's good to know, but isn't this thread around 2 years dead? Who necro'd this when it's 2 years dead? Why would you necro something 2 years dead?

MBIFOF D:
Airon

Post by Airon »

It was necroed because Summer Wars was dubbed by Funimation. It was released in February so now there's a mini revival. Nothing new, it happens anytime something gets dubbed from japan. People who weren't exposed to it before get another chance.

I myself got it dubbed last month, and enjoyed it. Reading the manga afterward though made me feel like if it had been 15-20 minutes longer it could have had better character growth. But, it's a movie. Making a movie too long is as bad as making it too short and turns off a lot of people.