What got you into Anime?

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Rental Daughter
BURRNN MY BREEADD
BURRNN MY BREEADD

Re: What got you into Anime?

Post by Rental Daughter »

For me... It was Sailor Moon way back when I was 3 or 4. I just automatically fell in love with any "cartoon" that looked like it (well, the whole "big eyes" factor ... or whatever I called it back then.) And then there was Pokemon... My parents bought me the little Pokemon "comics" (er... they were more like magazines or something) while I used my own money to buy Sailor Moon "comics." But I'd have to say Chobits was what really drew me in - even though I read that series when I was 10 or so. O__o; I was just curious about the series after finding out that the pretty picture I saw online actually had a "comic" and that's when the nice lady showed me to the lovely Graphic Novels shelf. -drool- @___O Even more love. And thanks to Google and Adult Swim, I got into watching anime instead of just reading manga. (:
shadow of skeith

Post by shadow of skeith »

First it was Sailor Moon at age six, then Tenchi Muyo a year later. I literally fell in love with Ryoko. :D
Flapjack

Post by Flapjack »

Um...considering that I'm only 10 years old I really don't remember much anime at all. :shock: But, I think the most recent animes and the newer ones influenced me to watch it.
Gemcrim
.hack//legendick
.hack//legendick

Post by Gemcrim »

Around when I was 4 or 5 I watched a subtitled DBZ movie (number 7 if I remember correctly) along with a set of Sailor Moon episodes, also G-Force. The only one I still care for is Sailor Moon, but these were my introduction into anime.
Kyero Fox
Pilot of White Glint
Pilot of White Glint

Post by Kyero Fox »

I watched the first episode of DBZ and was hooked, Still am... to DBZ that is... But yea, DBZ get me into Anime...
twilight_keeper

Post by twilight_keeper »

I remember being a small child alone in the house when some show came on that I'd never seen before. I was kinda bored with the cartoons that were currently on at the time and I saw that old robot show that was on in America for a very short time a long time ago. That show was Kidou Senshi Gundamu... Ah yes... memories
Pic0o

Post by Pic0o »

I caught a few Anime before I started collecting them, but I remember and still have my first Series:
Devil Hunter Yohko

I still have my White VHS tapes upstairs. I've been meaning to pickup the DVD set, this Holiday season might make that happen. I watch all sorts of stuff these days, and I threw some favs in the /Welcome Topic on these boards. :rolleyes:
Admilu

Post by Admilu »

When I was about five... maybe three actually. I saw the last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion and from then till I was 10 I checked every rental store for different disks of it and then I found the series, saved up and bought it. While on my adventure for the GREATEST ANIME EVER (don't even try to say I'm wrong, evangelino explains everything in my life {I know... that's SO VERY lame]) I found multiple other anime and then it just kinda stuck :)
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Whoa, when you were five? That's kind of young to be watching NGE.
And not everyone agrees that Evangelion is "omgdabestestevarlolol", but you're free to respectfully ignore or disagree with people who say that. :P
Admilu

Post by Admilu »

Haha! Yeah I know, I felt that I should over exaggerate my point of obsession :D but... don't make me sound like one of those american teens.... I hate them oh so very much... one thing I can't stand is to be American :)

Yes five was very much too young I agree. I didn't understand it at all untill I watched it... well I'm understanding more each time really.
Indi

Post by Indi »

I don't have a specific show to list as being my point of entry into anime as it were. It's more that as a result of my father's work I was constantly coming across either some manga or tape of a show that he had been given by clients. If you're curious (or not) he's a business lawyer (or I should say was since he is now retired) and had quite a few clients in the US who are from Japan. Net result I just grew up with something anime related around the house all the time. It's just something that I keep up like any hobby. Though I watch far less than I used to since I have other interests that come first nowadays.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

If we're talking about the first anime we watched, then Gundam Wing.
fepkk

Post by fepkk »

My first anime was Knights of the Zodiac. I think I was like 3 or 4 years old (I didn't even know what an anime was). I watched Pokemon, Dragonball and when I started watching Naruto, I was shown the anime world by a friend of mine who is also signed in dothackers.
Kerath

Post by Kerath »

well, i guess technically the first actual "anime" I watched was pokemon. when i was younger.. But for real, I first got into anime when i saw .hack//sign on toonami a long time ago
Shirosaki

Post by Shirosaki »

fepkk wrote:My first anime was Knights of the Zodiac.
I think you meant Saint Seiya.

I'd say there were three moments in my life that really made watch anime, the first one was when my parents bought a (forgot the name)of Rayearth VHS, which I watched constantly when I was 4, after that, my first contact with Locomotion, a channel which only had Anime to watch(Evangelion, BubbleGun Crisis, Burn-Up, Ghost in the Shell and a lot more) and finally when I first watched a subtitled Naruto episode a long time ago, after this I had never stopped watching anime.
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

Dragon.Ball.Z.

Then I saw shows like Zoids and Gundam. I just watched alot of Cartoon Network when I was little, then Toonami, which then hooked me onto anime.
Mirus

Post by Mirus »

Dragon ball Z was probably my first anime ( Didnt know what anime was to be honest )
I dont remember at what age but pretty young, 7 or less.

The anime that I LOVED with all my heart was Sakura Card Captors I guess thats what got me "hooked", but it was not my first.

<3 to you.
Akuta
The Forum Blubb
The Forum Blubb

Post by Akuta »

Dragonball volume 4. That's where it all started for me and the friends to whom I showed it.
SINSTAR

Post by SINSTAR »

As a kid Toonami was my main anime provider. I remember those days watching DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, Ruroni Kenshin, Gundam, etc. etc. That was back when I didn't even knew what anime was lol. I think where it really started was when I saw Kiki's Delivery Service. Hayao Miyazak is truly amazing.
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

Shirosaki wrote:
fepkk wrote:My first anime was Knights of the Zodiac.
I think you meant Saint Seiya.
In some places Saint Seiya was translated as Knights of the Zodiac =P
the first one was when my parents bought a (forgot the name)of Rayearth VHS
Magic Knight Rayearth. Yesss...I remember watching it on tv every once in a while and loving it, and sadly never had the chance to finish it D:

EDIT: I just remembered 2 other ones that I used to watch as a kid. Astroboy (the older version) and Kimba the White Lion ~.~ No, not Simba, you're thinking the Lion King, oh hey...