Help on Tri-Edge Cosplay

Post original art and .hack fanart here. Submit fanart to fanart@dothackers.net

Moderator: Moderators

thedudewhosadude

Help on Tri-Edge Cosplay

Post by thedudewhosadude »

Last Year, I went to Anime Next as Tri-Edge. I had basically one trailer worth of material to work with, so the costume was...decent. Lots I could have improved on. I just wanted to get it out there, to have people be like "Hey! It's Kite!...wait...no...Shugo?...what the hell are you?" And it worked! Best of all, I had ONE guy, in the artists's alley, say "OMG...are you Tri-Edge, from G.U.? No way!" Satisfaction :D Anyway, for this year, since there's MUCH more material out, and the game'll be out by the time of AN '06, I decided to do him again, for Saturday.

I have several obstacles in my way, however.

1) That DAMNED HAT! Kite/Shugo/Tri-Edge seems to have this IMPOSSIBLE hat! No matter WHAT I try to use, it never looks proper. It always looks flat, or lumpy. Any suggestions?

2) Weapons. Last year I managed to create metal weapons for Tri-Edge. They were fairly accurate, made from layers of sheet metal, and a lead pipe. It looked really nice painted. The problem? Within 10 minutes, they were confiscated. "Too heavy." T_T So, I need to know: What kind of material can I use that is easy to manipulate, yet sturdy, yet won't be confiscated?

3) His Boots! I just used snow boots, but this time I want to do it right. How do I go about adding that row of rivets?

4) Ankle/Arm "bolts". I have no idea how to describe these. They look like just...rather large parts. Should I use chicken wire to make a form, then cover it with material?

5) The hair. I managed last year with a crappy wig made from a weird kind of mop...don't ask. This year, I plan on doing the hair in front AND in back. What can I use for synthetic hair?

I know I ask for an awful lot, but any help would be grealy appreciated!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

For the hat and weapons, I would suggest using a wireframe to support the hat's shape, and for the weapons, I'd use plastic.
thedudewhosadude

I've much more experience with metal than plastic; exactly what kind of plastic are you referring to? Thanks for the hat idea as well; I'll get started on that!
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

for the hair use a wig... lol
SnowManZero
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate
Location: New South Whales in Australia.i'm not the only one? that's so cool.*act's like sora*

Post by SnowManZero »

Tsugasa-kun wrote:for the hair use a wig... lol
:shock:

no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

that's blasphemy!

you must dye your hair! :twisted: it's fun! i've had my hair green, black, red, pink, blueish black.

for the weapon, i would use paper mache. it would take a heck of alot of time to make, but i think your ready for it! paper mache, when finished is hard and sturdy, yet not heavy and would only hurt people if you really tried hard and hit some dude in the groin.
thedudewhosadude

SnowManZero wrote:
you must dye your hair! :twisted: it's fun! i've had my hair green, black, red, pink, blueish black.
Dying my hair isn't a problem...the problem is though, what my hair currently is. I have a mohawk, which is less than filling for Tri-Edge. I can't cut it and grow it out either, since for two of the days I'll be going as the Mohawked Hero from Feel the Magic XY:XX...although it WILL be the right color.
boy123

Post by boy123 »

...lol in that case use wig...andi like the paper machet idea that would be funto do and with metal orplastic from what i know etal would take forever and platic ill surely turn out not looking right...lol.......oh wel keep thinking
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

if this helps then awesome but im also gunna Cosplay as Tri Edge for Anime Expo, and im even gunna have thebracelet, but this is how i did his backpack

deity

Post by deity »

Good Start .Paint the correct colours on. (Sory jst stating the obvoius)
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

of course! i just did this tonight lol, should have mentioned that
thedudewhosadude

Tsugasa-kun: The way I'm doing the back-thingie is more like a loaf of french bread, only wide X_X I was also planning on doing his data drain, but at full 'expand' it would be hard to move around. Perhaps I'll shrink it down a bit. For that I'm using mostly paper materials and wires.
sirk

Post by sirk »

You're actually going for the data drain bracelet? Kudos if you pull that off well.
Tsugasa-kun

Post by Tsugasa-kun »

My Friend Vince was gunna do the Data Drain mode of the bracelet and actually have it fold and what not for mobility but we don't have enough time so the next convention will be for that, but regardless right now we are making the smaller version of the bracelet using plexiglass
thedudewhosadude

Ah, clever idea. I'm considering using various broken pieces of circuitry held together with very strong wires, since the paper isn't very accurate looking.

EDIT: Things aren't looking well for the Data Drain. I managed to create it, and even make it open/closeable, but...the rail-system is too unstable, and I haven't the time to make another, more stable data drain. Oh well! Looks like last year's Tri-Edge will be the only one I did!