The Gunpla Thread

Post original art and .hack fanart here. Submit fanart to fanart@dothackers.net

Moderator: Moderators

Falions

Re: The Gunpla Thread

Post by Falions »

Kaori wrote:
Falions wrote:Do you not do any painting or at least panel lining to your Gunpla at all?
Nope on either, Painting is for the pro's, and I'm no pro, that's why I use markers, and even then its rare that I use them, plus paint and I don't get along, can't stand the smell or the mess they leave, Plus I'm not so crazy about super details like on the RG or MG, they look distracting, I'm something of a minimalist, I don't like adding unnecesaary decals more than necessary, I just place the spare stickers on other things.
I dunno, I picked this hobby up only half a year ago and I've had great success with just a basic paintbrush and Tamiya/Mr. Hobby paints. If you ever decide to start painting, though, I can't stress this enough: buy a primer. I did some details on a couple kits without it, and the paint did not distribute or stick nearly as well as it did compared to when I applied primer. I never really add decals either, I just do some details on kits that don't have stickers for them. For example, I just recently touched up an old Evangelion kit and painted the spine + waist.
Here's an old picture of the waist (which I also did some panel lining on with a Gundam marker):
Compared to my touch-up:
ImageImage
Which, albeit a bit sloppy, makes it look leagues more accurate to the anime.
Here's a picture from someone else's blog online to show you what this kit looks like without anything done to it after the initial build:
ImageImage

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes a bit more effort is required for a closer match, professional or not. I certainly still consider myself a beginner, but don't be scared of the paintbrush. I don't build Gundams, and these are really the only kits I've painted. Mostly the other Kotobukiya kits I've bought don't require anything.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm not trying to crucify you for not painting your kits, and I totally understand why you don't (I was the same way for a while)
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Falions wrote:
Kaori wrote:
Falions wrote:Do you not do any painting or at least panel lining to your Gunpla at all?
Nope on either, Painting is for the pro's, and I'm no pro, that's why I use markers, and even then its rare that I use them, plus paint and I don't get along, can't stand the smell or the mess they leave, Plus I'm not so crazy about super details like on the RG or MG, they look distracting, I'm something of a minimalist, I don't like adding unnecesaary decals more than necessary, I just place the spare stickers on other things.
I dunno, I picked this hobby up only half a year ago and I've had great success with just a basic paintbrush and Tamiya/Mr. Hobby paints. If you ever decide to start painting, though, I can't stress this enough: buy a primer. I did some details on a couple kits without it, and the paint did not distribute or stick nearly as well as it did compared to when I applied primer. I never really add decals either, I just do some details on kits that don't have stickers for them. For example, I just recently touched up an old Evangelion kit and painted the spine + waist.
Here's an old picture of the waist (which I also did some panel lining on with a Gundam marker):
Compared to my touch-up:
ImageImage
Which, albeit a bit sloppy, makes it look leagues more accurate to the anime.
Here's a picture from someone else's blog online to show you what this kit looks like without anything done to it after the initial build:
ImageImage

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes a bit more effort is required for a closer match, professional or not. I certainly still consider myself a beginner, but don't be scared of the paintbrush. I don't build Gundams, and these are really the only kits I've painted. Mostly the other Kotobukiya kits I've bought don't require anything.

Anyway, to each their own. I'm not trying to crucify you for not painting your kits, and I totally understand why you don't (I was the same way for a while)
I do use markers for certain parts, not the whole thing at times, but its the school year and my priorities are at school for now, so not exactly time to learn how to paint, that and I only hang out with amateur customization guys too, so yeah, plus there is no place I can get paint that goes well with plastic all the way here, I live up in the mountains in the rural areas, The capitol is nearby but its about 4 hours drive away, plus bus fares are crazy expensive these days, 2000 for a trip, and the bus will NOT wait for you for even a minute, out is out, doesn't help that all the major bus stations are at the edge of the capitol, meaning I have to take a taxi next, then the traffic is horrible, and even then comes the fact that hobby stores are very niche, I get all my kits at toy stores, hobby stores that sell the quality stuff are in those smaller less accessible malls, then the prices are quite high too, its just too much effort to get paint only for me to screw it up, I'm more interested than you think, but I just don't have the time, although with the revelation that I will be graduating earlier than expected, I plan on going pro and even getting a 3D Printer to make custom equipment with.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Kaori wrote: I do use markers for certain parts, not the whole thing at times, but its the school year and my priorities are at school for now, so not exactly time to learn how to paint, that and I only hang out with amateur customization guys too, so yeah, plus there is no place I can get paint that goes well with plastic all the way here, I live up in the mountains in the rural areas, The capitol is nearby but its about 4 hours drive away, plus bus fares are crazy expensive these days, 2000 for a trip, and the bus will NOT wait for you for even a minute, out is out, doesn't help that all the major bus stations are at the edge of the capitol, meaning I have to take a taxi next, then the traffic is horrible, and even then comes the fact that hobby stores are very niche, I get all my kits at toy stores, hobby stores that sell the quality stuff are in those smaller less accessible malls, then the prices are quite high too, its just too much effort to get paint only for me to screw it up, I'm more interested than you think, but I just don't have the time, although with the revelation that I will be graduating earlier than expected, I plan on going pro and even getting a 3D Printer to make custom equipment with.
Like I said, I got into this hobby six months ago smack dab in the middle of my first year at university. However, if you don't have a store nearby that sells Gunpla paints, I can see why it would be a hassle. There is an anime store just about a half hour's journey by public transit where I live that has a whole shelf dedicated to Tamiya paints and a whole shelf dedicated to Mr. Hobby paints, not to mention a whole damn wall of Gunpla. All the paints are priced at $2.95 a bottle, which I think is very reasonable. Colours like black, red, white, and so on, are common and will last you a while, but it's only an issue when I have to buy a ton of new ones just for one kit. It's definitely an easier hobby to get into when you live near one of these types of places.

But good luck! I'm sure one day you'll have some great kits.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

i went to my local barnes and noble store and saw that they have a section full of gunpla stuff. it wasnt badly priced either, tho, i dont know if its still over priced or not. either way, it caught me off guard haha. Now I know where to go for when i start lol.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Avatar_Crim wrote:i went to my local barnes and noble store and saw that they have a section full of gunpla stuff. it wasnt badly priced either, tho, i dont know if its still over priced or not. either way, it caught me off guard haha. Now I know where to go for when i start lol.
How much they going for? Over here 2000 PHp(about $40 US) is the highest I've seen for a regular HG with the cheaper ones going around less than 700 PHp(nearly about $14), depends on what series though you plan on getting, Iron Blooded Orphans parts are compatible with each other and build fighters sets are fun to play with, IBO sets though tend to be cheaper, but that's probably because if you want the reat of the accessories, you have to buy them, for example:

The first wave set accessories, least it comes with a free mobile worker.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

they were ranging from $15-too high to remember. honestly. it didn't seem all that bad priced. at least from what it sounds like.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

I decided to order paint but for obvious reasons I have trouble having it shipped here, flammable materials are normally not handled by the post office and shipping it is expensive so I'm trying to get my family to bring it home for me if they are ever taking private trasportation, the good news is the paint is safely at my condominium's mail so they can just pick it up there, now, I got to ask, anybody here every tried using Styrene Sheets? I want to make my own weapons, preferably firearms and swords, I need to know how thick should the Styrene sheets to accomplish that?
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Falions wrote:
Kaori wrote: I do use markers for certain parts, not the whole thing at times, but its the school year and my priorities are at school for now, so not exactly time to learn how to paint, that and I only hang out with amateur customization guys too, so yeah, plus there is no place I can get paint that goes well with plastic all the way here, I live up in the mountains in the rural areas, The capitol is nearby but its about 4 hours drive away, plus bus fares are crazy expensive these days, 2000 for a trip, and the bus will NOT wait for you for even a minute, out is out, doesn't help that all the major bus stations are at the edge of the capitol, meaning I have to take a taxi next, then the traffic is horrible, and even then comes the fact that hobby stores are very niche, I get all my kits at toy stores, hobby stores that sell the quality stuff are in those smaller less accessible malls, then the prices are quite high too, its just too much effort to get paint only for me to screw it up, I'm more interested than you think, but I just don't have the time, although with the revelation that I will be graduating earlier than expected, I plan on going pro and even getting a 3D Printer to make custom equipment with.
Like I said, I got into this hobby six months ago smack dab in the middle of my first year at university. However, if you don't have a store nearby that sells Gunpla paints, I can see why it would be a hassle. There is an anime store just about a half hour's journey by public transit where I live that has a whole shelf dedicated to Tamiya paints and a whole shelf dedicated to Mr. Hobby paints, not to mention a whole damn wall of Gunpla. All the paints are priced at $2.95 a bottle, which I think is very reasonable. Colours like black, red, white, and so on, are common and will last you a while, but it's only an issue when I have to buy a ton of new ones just for one kit. It's definitely an easier hobby to get into when you live near one of these types of places.

Finally got my hands pn those tamiya paints, turns out buses do allow them on board if they aren't really big, so, for brushes which ones do I have to order? Like are there different types I need?
Falions

Post by Falions »

Kaori wrote:
Falions wrote:

Finally got my hands pn those tamiya paints, turns out buses do allow them on board if they aren't really big, so, for brushes which ones do I have to order? Like are there different types I need?
I just went to an art supply store and asked for the smallest brush they had. It cost me about $1.50 each, and I bought around 3 or 4 to alternate between various colours.
There are, however, brushes specific for Gunpla that I'm not too familiar with but you could easily look up online. I think what's really necessary is a very thin brush and a decently-sized flat brush to cover larger areas (shields and so forth)
Also, make sure to buy thinner and a base as well! These two things are absolutely necessary to painting and I made the mistake of not buying them when I first got into this hobby because I thought it was just extra. Base is absolutely necessary to bind the paint to the plastic and thinner as well so you get a nice even coat and can't see brush strokes. While Tamiya is usually pretty thin right out of the bottle, it can't hurt to thin it a bit more. My rule of thumb is for every drop of paint, use a drop of thinner. (Paint droppers are also great! Mixing plates too! There are lots of gunpla-specific items like this too). Good luck!

P.S. be careful about water mixing with your paints. Make sure your brush is completely dry when you dip it into a bottle of base or paint, because otherwise it creates an awful layer of water in the bottle that can ruin the paint.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Yeah, just out of curiousity, do I need a Tamiya Palette? Or will a regular Palette do?